Logo

Engine InstrumentsWiring and quick disconnects

knuckle47

Advanced Contributor
"After dealing with erratic re

"After dealing with erratic readings from old gauges, I am going to re-wire my helms to hopefully provide accurate information from my engines and their performance. Yup, I am also installing two vacuum gauges as per one of the other discussions here a few weeks ago.

I am looking for a recommendation for multi-pin disconnects that would enable me to pop the dash out in the event I need to do other work on or in it. Something weather resistant and reliable OR...is that idea a waste of energy and too prone to corrosion?

I do not wish to keep a solid run of 40 feet of wire bundles between the upper and lower helm and the engine compartment."

"I have used good old terminal

"I have used good old terminal strips with the connections covered with liquid tape (the old OMC branded can has been the best but, as far as I know, is NLA). They are bulkier but easy to work with and take modifications readily.

As far as alternatives, can't say I've found anything that held up as well. I 'integrated' an old MIL SPEC "bendix" connector to the old fume detector figuring it would last a long time. Unit was mounted in a rather exposed location. Well, the mil spec connector only "lasted" 4 years. The elctrical connections were sound but the plating had corroded thru and the connector ring would no longer rotate easily.

Maybe DD or EJ can suggest something else."

"Actually the terminal strip o

"Actually the terminal strip on the Bayliner we have is mounter in a RubberMaid rectangular container, sealed on the ends with silicone.

Were it quick disconnect, I'd try to find one...The container would be easy
"

"Actually the terminal strip o

"Actually the terminal strip on the Bayliner we have is mounter in a RubberMaid rectangular container, sealed on the ends with silicone.

Were it quick disconnect, I'd try to find one...The container would be easy

Is everyone's boat put away? Seems quiet"

"Al although I am not in a sal

"Al although I am not in a salt environment I have been kicking around the same idea. On my 502 I used the mercruiser standard barrel plug at the engine but found myself short a few wires so I added a Mil. Spec. Pin-and-Socket Connectors (MIL-C-5015) found here:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/115/760/=43rd35

On the gauge side I am thinking of using Pin-and-Socket Connectors like the one found here:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/115/761/=43rdyg

They have Harsh Environment Connectors also that might work for you. I'm like you. I like to pull my gauges out and work on them when need preferably on a workbench. Also make sure you use dielectric grease to help out with the corrosion."

"My boat is old school with th

"My boat is old school with the "chinch" terminal blocks that MM described. I also use starbrite liquid tape or sometimes just lanolin (woody wax or the like).
On some new stuff, i'm now using Packard Delphi Weather Pack connectors. http://delphi.com/manufacturers/cv/ee/hd/weather/

Made for underhood applications, but are totally sealed, and used with existing wire. Huge production volume, so, they are pretty cheap; free compared with Military MS connectors! But with these and other pin/socket connectors, two leads out of one hole is a no-go for water seal.
Get the crimping tool thru ebay; Also, get a Waytek catalog."

don't the silvertons have

don't the silvertons have the 8 pin harness that can be disconnected at the dash behind the upper and lower stations? that is the way mine is and i would guess they might all be the same'

"Thanks gang...I have yet to g

"Thanks gang...I have yet to get the answers in our local boating arena that I get consistently right here. I wonder if anyone is doing their own in depth work? My lower helm has plugs but the upper does not BUT, every owner in 25 years has added some wire from some where of any color to any part. No fun which is why and need to finally do this since the rest of it is ALMOST complete.

EJ...My garage was an oversized 2 car garage when we moved in. IT HAS NEVER had a car in it. I have built more bikes in that garage, it has an electric lift table, welding, 120gal 2 stage compressor, sealed dual 8' lighting in 4 places, 12 foot ceiling, overhead fans, full sized refrigerator, water and a 19" TV.... throw in a bed and shower........I'm done.

When I have to crawl in an out of some of the spaces on the boat...all of that comes back in my mind and makes my body hurt even more!"

Back