Logo

115 Tohatsu starving

skihawk

"For Tohatsu Guru,
I have a 2

"For Tohatsu Guru,
I have a 2004 115 Tohatsu that has been bumped to 140. The last 3 times I'v taken it out it ran as well as usual for about 2 or 3 hours. Then it just suddenly seemed to starve for fuel. I've drained the fuel tank and refilled it with new fuel, Ran all new fuel line,changed the Racor filter, and made sure there's no water in the carb bowls. any suggestions as to what might cause this problem? The fuel pump seems to be OK as I pulled the cover and the diaphragm seems fine. I also have a quick connect on the fuel connection at the motor, could this be a problem?"

"Anything that takes 2 to 3 ho

"Anything that takes 2 to 3 hours to manifest is a bear to find. It could be a fuel system or electrical system issue. I would look at any fuel connection point where a poorly sealing connector may periodically allow the engine to suck air and look for any fuel leak point...Check your prime bulb too. Also check the electrical system for any loose connectors or bad wire. I doubt that it would be an ignition component as such, but it may be a bad wire or loose ground on one of them."

"Thanks for the reply,
I actu

"Thanks for the reply,
I actually did replace the primer bulb when I replaced the fuel line. I neglected to mention that when it starts acting up that I can squeeze the primer bulb and it will run ok for a few minutes then I have to sometimes keep having the bulb pumped in order to get back to the dock. Right now I am having to replace the fuel tank as It developed a leak the last time I was out. I'm hoping that there was something in the tank, possibly sludge from having to use ethanol fuel, that may have partially clogged the fuel P/U and caused the problem. I just disconnected the quick connect and ran the fuel line directly to the fuel pump.
If the new tank and the bypass of the QC doesn't solve the problem,, I have no clue where to go from there."

"Since you can squeeze the bul

"Since you can squeeze the bulb and fix the problem you have pretty much determined it is the fuel system that is the issue. Mechanics, at this point, usually begin replacement of the lines, connectors, etc at this point as the expense of time is more than the expense of the parts....If you were paying for the labor
Since you are doing this yourself I would suggest replacement of each potential fuel system part, trying the engine in the field and then moving on to the next next potential part. It's time consuming, but that would be the most cost effective way for you to determine the problem."

"Well, as soon as the new tank

"Well, as soon as the new tank is installed and I get everything tightened back up again I'll have to just do as you say and make sure everything is done in sequence from the fuel inlet to the fuel line connection at the fuel pump. Is it routine to have quick connects on these engines? The fuel line coming from the tank is 3/8 and the QC doesn't seem to be anywhere as big. It looks as though with the valve in the QC that there is less than 1/4" going into the fuel pump. I feel like maybe the QC was possibly restricted so I just eliminated it. The biggest problem I see is that I no longer can disconnect the line and run the fuel out. Is that a problem in your opinion?
Thanks.
Skip"

It is routine and desirable to

It is routine and desirable to have the ability to disconnect the fuel line. Without the ability to run the engine dry after use you increase the likelihood of having fouled carburetors.

"Tohatsu Guru,
I Just saw a p

"Tohatsu Guru,
I Just saw a post today where someone put an inline shutoff in the fuel line. Any problem with that scenario?"

"No problem doing it that way,

"No problem doing it that way, but it's not as fuel effcient. If you disconect at the fuel coupler on the engine you will not use as much fuel to run it dry."

Back