Logo

Mercruiser 470 staring problems

namkrojba

"My engine is running fine aft

"My engine is running fine after extensive work except for one problem.
I start the engine warm it up and then take the boat out, I use the boat mostly to fish and do a lot of drifting.
If I have to move the boat after running it at operating temperature, it will not start. I get a click and the starter tries to turn but stops. If I let it sit for 1/2 to 1 hr it still starts hard but will start, and if it sits for a few days it starts right up.

Does it sound like the stater, the solenoid , or both?"

"Nope its not water in a cylin

"Nope its not water in a cylinder, its a closed cooling system with a heat exchanger and there would be a loos of coolant for that to happen, and I haven't had to add any coolant in months"

"No that is not true.....

&

"No that is not true.....

""Nope its not water in a cylinder, its a closed cooling system with a heat exchanger and there would be a loos of coolant for that to happen, and I haven't had to add any coolant in months""

Fresh/raw water passes thru the manifold and exits the elbow. Look close!!

The manifold erodes and water can leak into engine......Ask me how I or others know this!

It is a very common problem with these engines. Not to say it is your problem that is.....

If you turn the key and the engine starting system only clicks then maybe solenoid. If it only clicks because it wont spin over then pull plugs and check them for water......"

"The elbow gets a hole rotted

"The elbow gets a hole rotted thru it and dumps raw water into #4 exaust port. Water would make a plug look whiter than the rest, causes the exaust valve to stick sometimes breaking a pushrod.Next time it happens, pull #4 plug and spin the motor to see what comes out.If it`s water and you dont fix it PROMPTLY, you will be removing the head for repair.
This link shoud show how water exists thru the riser.
http://www.michel-christen.com/ExhaustElbows.pdf"

"About two months ago I had th

"About two months ago I had the elbow off and cleaned it out no leaks or holes in it and I used 100 lbs of air pressure to check it, I had an overheating problem and it turned out the exhaust riser was blocked, I used my compressor to try and blow it out it held the compressor at 100 lbs of pressure, had there been a leak in the elbow it would not have held at 100 lbs"

"Exactly how did you contain t

"Exactly how did you contain the air pressure?
I think you cleaned out all the scale and left a very thin portion of the riser that has now rotted thru.If I`m wrong in the water idea, then I`ll send you a replacement gasket.

"I get a click and the starter tries to turn but stops. If I let it sit for 1/2 to 1 hr it still starts hard but will start, and if it sits for a few days it starts right up."

Almost a sure sign of water in a cylinder."

Allen these fellas know what t

Allen these fellas know what they are talking about also have you checked your timing after your extensive work on the engine?

"Time for the patient to liste

"Time for the patient to listen to the Doctor. We are all here to help anyone w/our combined knowledge. Please accept the advice provided and follow thru w/it. You can ask all day long but you will get the same answers.
rain.gif
"

"No seloniod on the 470.The st

"No seloniod on the 470.The starter drive is thrown forward into the flywheel when the starter motor spins.
Unless you have water in the oil,I doubt the engine is getting water in the cylinders. I'll go along with timing as a possible cause,but I'd also check the power draw from the starter,both cold and hot,check the points,and condition of the ignition system overall,for spark jump causing a mis-fire / kick back. And,if you haven't already,check the output of the charging system. A good battery will recharge on it's own in a few hours.If the battery is new,and being run down,it would explain the no start after the boat has been run,and the good start after it has sat awhile.
The 470 has a weak charging system.They fail often,and are expensive to repair.
Good luck."

"What year 470? no solenoid be

"What year 470? no solenoid before 1984 after 84 delco style solenoid mounted on top replacable and repairable and will fit the 470 if you replace the whole starter ( I would).ebasicpower.com delco 10 mt.part # mes197m $19.95.I had a 1989 3.7 224 or better known as a 470 for 3 years,did it all till I gave up and bought a 4.3 v6 no more problems.My head is beginning to hurt from all these experts......"

"Guest, all starters must have

"Guest, all starters must have some type of solenoid to connect the battery to the starter.Either starter mounted or remote mounted."

"Correct BT ...refrase: no ext

"Correct BT ...refrase: no externally mounted solenoid before 1984.I had the exaxct same problem with my 1989 3.7 224.went fishing shut it off tried to start...click click.waited 1-2 hrs started right up.changed the starter no more starting problems.till the seal went on the water pump shaft a.k.a. end cam shaft,till the weights broke in the charging pulley,till finally the a main bearing went knock knock knock..and by the way it wasn't a wrist pin....etc etc.the 470 or 3.7 is a poor excuse for mercruiser trying to establish a marine engine with a aluminum exhaust manifold and aluminum block mixed with cast iron parts = it doesn't work,do yourself a favor and buy a used 4.3 v6 you'll enjoy boating much better."

"I stand corrected,no solenoid

"I stand corrected,no solenoid mounted on the starter. The 470 was actually a good system,it just needed to be maintained more. The engines are solid,its the crap bolted to them that fails. Seeing as to how many 470's from the 70's are still running strong,it couldn't have been to bad an engine. Since when doesn't aluminium heads work over a cast iron block? Does GM know about these findings,because if it's true,there's an awful lot of Vette's and several other models running around that are not going to last.Does GM need to prepare for a major recall?
BTW JIM,are you included in this list of "experts" making your head hurt?"

"Learn a little more about 470

"Learn a little more about 470's ACE get that merc manual #8 out again. try a aluminum block with a ford 460 head it's called expansion and contraction.one heats up faster than the other >>>>>crack,split ++++++ one cools down faster than the other.all with water and anti freeze running thru them.Are you going to stand corrected again ACE?"

"Oye, here we go again!

bac

"Oye, here we go again!

back to the problem, when did you last charge or replace your battery? Heat is no friend to electrical components when either your starter componenets or the battery is getting warm it's not up to it's full potential. With the 470 you will need FULL electrical potential. When mine gets stubborn to start I put the battery (not even a year old) on the charger and it turns right over like it's supposed to. I've had to do that three times this year. I've also heard the starters can get weak with age."

Back