Logo

Nice little performance tip for 270 owners

am_dew

Advanced Contributor
"Since it's been a little

"Since it's been a little slow around here, I am sure due to the boating season winding down in most areas, I thought I'd share a little tip courtesy of J.C.H. (thanks Jesse!) which worked out very well for my boat. Of course, as they say "your mileage may vary" and this may not work at all on your boat depending upon many factors such as hull design, weight distribution, etc.

I moved the transom pin from the middle hole to the outmost hole (furthest from the transom). This trims the hull so the bow rides slightly higher and on my boat it resulted in a gain of a couple more MPH at the top end, generally a higher MPH per RPM ratio and much better rough water and wake handling and easier/better steering and handling in general.

There were a couple downsides to doing this. It decreased the "hole shot" performance slightly and the bow now raises a little higher before getting up on plane. Also, the OEM outdrive support bracket became an issue since I normally place it in the outermost transom pin holes and putting it in any other holes did not work well. But that was easily overcome by buying this custom suppport bracket off of eBay:

295200.jpg
bracket"">

The horizontal pin doubles as a transom pin and slides in and out of the base of the triangle shape portion of the bracket, which supports the leg when trailering and is removed before launch. The locking pin on the left end keeps the pin in place.

But overall, I am very pleased with the way the boat performs with the transom pin in this position and regardless of that, this bracket works, and is built, very well and is much easier to deal with than the OEM support bracket."

"Bob,

Good post and thanks

"Bob,

Good post and thanks for the compliment!!! I'm sure that everybody does not know about this little "trick". I agree with everything you just stated. I was hoping to take my boat out one more time but has snowed 4 inches since yesterday and I haven't even winterized my boat yet lol...

To anybody who doesn't like the OEM trailering this is the best bracket there is!!! Thanks again for the post on this Bob and hope it benefits somebody!!!

Jesse"

"Then there is always the &#34

"Then there is always the "frugal boater's" support bracket.. (somewhat hull dependent)
.... lift drive, run a spare line from one stern cleat looped around the drive cav plate to the other cleat...

If you are going to trailer a long distance, you probably will want to use polyprol line with a riggers hitch to stop " bouncing" on the elasticity of nylon. An odd piece of "stayset-x" or other non stretch line used by sailors could also work.

For a really long tow... some garden hose at the cav plate over the line.

The support bracket from both my boats was long gone by the time I got them and I had to improvise."

"I really like this trailering

"I really like this trailering hitch, it seems like it would be a LOT easier than the origional one. I have to fight it to get it in the holes. Ebay? I will keep an eye out for it. Thanks"

"Ross, here you go:

[url=""

"Ross, here you go:

http://tinyurl.com/yfrjsn3

I bought mine recently and have only used it twice since but I can say without a doubt that it works very well and it's very well built. I wish I would have found and bought it long ago."

"Hey Thanks Bob, I just bought

"Hey Thanks Bob, I just bought trailering hitch off of ebay, I wish I did a long time ago. I once used the trim/tilt to hold up my outdrive while trailering, I ended up bending the shaft on the trim/tilt, luckily I found a machine shop to bent it back."

"Great tip fellas, I got one y

"Great tip fellas, I got one yesterday, and I thank you. I went out and changed this for the Volvo part, and it slipped right in place, with no fighting! This is important to we of the 65 plus generation! I look forward to the coming season."

"Ross,

I am glad you like t

"Ross,

I am glad you like the bracket as much as I do. It is a very nice piece of equipment and makes all our lives much easier. You should be happy with your purchase!!Good luck to you

Jesse"

Back