Logo

Control Cable leak 270 outdrive

lawman

"Hi,

I had water coming in

"Hi,

I had water coming in my boat intermittently and finally found that if the control cable vibrated or is bent slightly at the point where the rubber sleave ends water sprays from this point. It drips almost constantly. Is there supposed to be water between the sleeve and the control cable? how do you fix this?

Thanks
Lawrence"

"Lawrence, Your shift cable sh

"Lawrence, Your shift cable sheathe "crimp sleeve" has failed at the fitting in the transom shield.

These shift cables are considered wet cables. The sheathe (the rubber hose) is to keep the water where it belongs.
You will notice that the sheathe is to be higher than the water line at the end where the cable exits it in the engine bay.
The shift cable jacket glides freely within this sheathe when need be.

You'll need to remove the sheathe from the transom shield fitting, possibly cutting pieces of the crimp sleeve out of your way.
Then cut an inch from rubber hose.
(or completely replace the rubber hose)

I'd not attempt to remove the fitting from the transom shield. It will be corroded in place. Not worth the effort!

Simply re-attach the now freshly cut hose using ONLY the correct SS clamp of the correct diameter.
It must be the correct diameter clamp.
Sealant would be good here also.

This won't be easy, as it is in the most inopportune position that it could possibly be in.

."

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
happy.gif

Glad to hear it is as simple as that! I just had my transom re-built and my twins reinstalled so I really did not want to pull her out of the water again.
Thanks!"

"The crew that re-installed th

"The crew that re-installed the transom shields should have checked this. This is a known issue on these drives.

If you could have a shop vac handy, you may be able to do this while in the water..... otherwise, it would be much safer to do on the hard.

."

"Good Point, I guess when I re

"Good Point, I guess when I remove the hose water will come in. Well i guess it got easier now that I can get the installers to fix it!"

Back