Logo

Gas leak

smchaplin

Regular Contributor
hey guys 84 cobia 470 merc wh

hey guys 84 cobia 470 merc what i have is a gas leak somewhere about a month ago i lifted the lid on my storage on the floor and it smelled like varnish so that was clue number 1 well during the winerization i filled the tank and added stabil well yesterday i took the cover back to let it air and got a stong odor of gas its an aluminum tank and im sure the hoses are all original i put a considerable amount of water in the hull and then let it drain and didnt see any oily looking water Ie rainbow color and the gauge is still peged with fuel so where is a good place to look

If the boat has seen saltwater

If the boat has seen saltwater inspect any threaded fittings going into the tank....material choices don't always match desires.

Hoses buried w/in floatation f

Hoses buried w/in floatation foam were my problem. Fill line was falling apart and leaking into the foam and it seeped through it.

thanks for all the pointers gu

thanks for all the pointers guys but i found it and it was my fault. late last fall i had dropped a wingnut from the battery down the pvc pipe thru the hull where the hoses travel and couldnt retrieve it so i just got another one and went about my merry old way well i never in a million years thought the w/n had lodged between the fill and vent hose and in one single boating season would wear a hole in the fill line but one thing is for sure anything is possible with a boat

Back