Logo

Thunderbolt Ignition question

sandkicker

Outstanding Contributor
What is the gap (vertical

What is the gap (vertical clearance) between the toothed "sensor" (a misnomer) and the pickup module in a T'bolt V distributor. I want to make sure that the rotor is fully seated.

"Robert, isn't this is a p

"Robert, isn't this is a photo eye unit? The light beam is disrupted by the rotor. The rotor should be fully seated. All is good! Yes/No? "

"On the Merc Dist shaft, the r

"On the Merc Dist shaft, the rotor is a force fit with a small, thin plastic alignment key in the rotor that matches a keyway in the dist shaft.
The fit is so tight that I'm not sure if it bottomed with the plastic key in the slot or with the key against the end of the dist shaft.

Reason I ask is that when I put the timing light on it to check the timing, the light did not seem to flash "smoothly"...Also, the engine is not quite running right... nothing that you can put your finger on, but not the dead smooth typical V8 idle.

I was figuring that if the rotor isn't seated properly, then the photo interruption may be erratic."

"No "spec" for what yo

"No "spec" for what you asked for Robert.

best thing is to pull the rotor and measure the 'depth' of the hole. Mark that distance down on the distributor shaft and reinstall the rotor. if the rotor is close to your mark, it is fully seated.

the pickups are known to have finite lifetimes; if you can't remember last time it was changed, it would be a good idea."

Re" pickup life..Engine ha

Re" pickup life..Engine has less than 50 hrs on it.

Re: "the dimension" Thanks... will do.

Thanks for the input..

Back