Logo

Alpha 1 impeller question

"Hello, I have a 1996 bayliner

"Hello, I have a 1996 bayliner with the 3.0/alpha1 power package. I have previously owned a boat with a volvo-penta package and am new to the mercruiser boats. In my volvo the impeller is cam driven and on the front of the engine. I understand that the impeller is located in the drive unit on the mercruiser. I have a stupid question about the impeller. Does it only turn and pump water when the outdrive is in gear? Also, unknowing of the impeller location, I spliced a t-fitting into the raw water hose on top if the engine so I could by-pass the "rabbit ears" and run water directly to the engine. I ran the engine with the drive dis-engaged and winterized it with anti-freeze the same way (with the thermostat open of coarse). I am wondering if I could have damaged the impeller by not running water through the pick-up on the drive. Please let me know your opinions. Thanks-"

"the impeller is running when

"the impeller is running when ever the engine is running regardless of gear selection.

well.. I know what you mean by T fitting, and that should force water in both directions BUT.. the impeller will want to push water/air back up the hose towards the engine, so yea.. unless you saw water come out the water inlets of the lower unit you would have destroyed the impeller pretty quickly.

The impeller is at the top of the lower section of the gear case, with the drive in forward remove the nuts & bolts remove the lower and replace the impeller and upper and or lower housing as needed.

If you want, you could put in a scupper(water intake on the bottom of the boat) and a raw water pump on the front of the engine."

all the manuals are available

all the manuals are available from another site.
iboats.com. very first section marked"Adults Only"

"Bt Doctur, I have all the man

"Bt Doctur, I have all the manuals that I need but I went to iboats.com and didn't see any section marked "adults only" so I can see why Adam thought you were messing with him. Adam I can assure you that Bt Doctur would not intentionaly insult you, he is always a ton of great knowledge and very helpful."

Back