Logo

Tohatsu M40D 3C8 parts compatability with MD50A

sobie2

"My 2001 Tohatsu MD50A 50HP TL

"My 2001 Tohatsu MD50A 50HP TLDI has been a lemon for me, and isn't currently running. No local Tohatsu dealer who is TLDI certified.

I have run the self diagnose check engine light and tach rpm diagnosis in the past, this time I don't get spark, and don't get the tach to work in the self diagnosis mode. I have reset the TPS but no luck.

So today I found locally a M40D non tldi for $500. Comparing parts books from the outset it looks like I can take this older 40 and make my 50 TLDI a non TLDI 40 but using my low hour powerhead as a base.

Any thoughts?

Sobie2"

"Combining two different model

"Combining two different models to get one working engine would be a job for someone who really knows what they are doing...Don't take this the wrong way but, if you can't run the simple tests using the onboard diagnostics of the TLDI its unikely you would be able to get a reliably working engine out of throwing them together.

My best advice is to take your TLDI into a dealer...Even if you have to drive aways to do it, then have it fixed correctly."

"Not-so-hot-su Guru,

You as

"Not-so-hot-su Guru,

You assume way to much when answering a question in the ability of a poster.

I live in a remote island community. There isn't a dealer I can drive to.

If you had critically read the original post, you would know that I know how to run the diagnosis and have done so before.

The problem is most likely an ECU but I can't tell because the tach will not function in the self diagnosis mode. It works doing other operations though.

As to my question on parts compatability? A working powerhead from a junk 89-96 midsection out to be able to be transferred to a really nice midsection on a lemon of a 2001 TLDI... guess I answered my own question.

I came here looking for a technical answer, not some snide remark from a self proclaimed "professional".

Guru- you do give lots of help to others but mis-read me."

"There wasn't anything sni

"There wasn't anything snide about my response to you. Based on your inability to correctly run the diagnostics, which you don't know how to do otherwise you wouldn't be here asking questions, I offered you the best advice possible. You don't like the advice...Fine, but don't bitch about it."

Back