Logo

Slow hole shot

dtwolcot2

"Hi, I have a 1999 20'6 ba

"Hi, I have a 1999 20'6 bayliner with the 305 carb and a 23 pitch prop and out of the water full throttle seems slow. The boat runs great top end. Tops out at about 54mph on a smooth day but unable to tell what rpms are b/c most guages dont work. with just me in the boat and half tank of gas its ok comig out of the water and is extremly difficult pulling up a skier. Is the just because of the 23 pitch prop? A little history on the boat, someone gave it to me after it sat for 2 yrs and after new engine oil, drive oil, gas, ans carb cleaner it started right up and ran great except for slow time to plane. Previuos owners always kept it serviced as by reciepts. With a half tank of gas and 5 people it takes more than 10 sec to plane. I figured im getting between 3-4 mpg depending on conditions. So is it just a prop issue or is it time to replace wires, cap, rotor ect....? plugs looked great. Also, its the original prop. Thanks"

"well.. I know someone that ha

"well.. I know someone that has a 20' glastron bowrider using a 22p 4blade similar to a 23p 3 blade does 5200rpm @ 50mph (by gps) pitot mphs aren't acurate.

if the boat has sat for 2 years, I would drain the fuel tank completely, rebuild the carburator.
Cap, rotor, wires, plugs will have an effect but it depends on their quality and condition.

I know bayliners and though a 23p prop may be a bit much, I know it's do able so you may have a problem with the fuel tank and carb.

it would be a good idea to get the gauges fixed"

"23" seems a tad over-prop

"23" seems a tad over-propped to me. Especially if you want to pull skiers. I'd see if you can scare up a 19 or 21, and see if that does what you want. Obviously, you'll sacrifice some top end, but your hole shot will be much better."

"Dustin, I have the same boat

"Dustin, I have the same boat & motor, although a 2000. Bayliner 20-1/2 bowrider, 5.0 2-bbl carb. I have a 19-pitch Stainless prop, and with 5 people onboard I can get on plane within 4 or 5-sec. Top speed (GPS) w/5 people & full 39-gal fuel is 47-mph. By myself, I can top out at 51/52 mph on smooth water."

Back