Logo

57 GXI oil Consumption

in2fishn

"I have a 2001 VP 5.7 GXI with

"I have a 2001 VP 5.7 GXI with 847 hrs. I noticed that it started using oil. I have checked the engine for oil leaks and I can’t find any. The bilge is clean. I used a qt if oil in 50 hrs. There is no smoke when I start the engine. What might be the cause of oil usage? At 25 hrs I added 8 oz, 17 hrs added 8 oz, 8 hrs added 6 oz and 8 hrs 6 oz. Ran the boat yesterday 2 hrs and its down approx. 6 oz"

With a leaking valve seal won&

With a leaking valve seal won't you get smoke on engine start? Did a comprression test last year an it was within limits. I'll go back and do the test again

"With worn valve seals (wh

"With worn valve seals (when you notice oil consumption it is usually more than one seal that leaks) the oil will be sucked into the intake manifold slowly but surely while the engine is running and it has warmed-up. Most times you won't notice any smoke at start time unless the leak is severe. However, if you remove the intake manifold you would see through the intake port if the valves are fouled with charred oil residues."

Did a compression test today.

Did a compression test today. All cylinders checked ok. Got reading as high as 180 psi and the lowest being 165. 170 -175 for the rest of the cylinders. I’ll be pulling the heads over the winter and replace the valve seal.

How hard is it to replace the Gimbel Bearing? Noticed it was making noise when I turned to port or starboard. Was ok when going straight. 5.7GXI DP Transom shield assembly SX-MPH

Back