Logo

Crusader 270 edelbrock carbs

eggharborrick

Contributing Member
"replaced my q-jets with edleb

"replaced my q-jets with edlebrocks.85 270 crusaders.q-jets were gummed shut from sitting 4 years.had great luck with e-brock on my old big block truck so i figured what the heck. problem with the e-brocks running rich and flooding. new fuel filters,new fuel pumps w/5 pounds pressure and new regulaters,clean lines,have the fuel line into a clean can of fresh gas,adjusted the floats to factory spec.e-brock tech service is trying to tell me the carbs are at too much of an angle backwards.its only 10 degrees engine angle.they also told me to change my float needle/seats over to spring loaded off road type.anybody have any thoughts here? by the way,both carbs same exact thing on either engine.carb numbers are 1409 marine i believe."

"How did you adapt the spread

"How did you adapt the spread bore to the new, square bore? Are all the butterflys free to move, totally closed to WO? Is the electric choke opening all the way?
You really should have the marine wedge in there. "

used the edelbrock adapter pla

used the edelbrock adapter plate along with the original leveling wedge that was under the q-jets.everything moves freely.choke opens all the way.local guy was telling me e-brock has very little quality control lately??

"Rick,
Regarding Dave's

"Rick,
Regarding Dave's point about the electric choke...Mine never opened fully and while it may have been out of adjustment, it was easier at the time to zip tie it wide open. That was 3 years ago and it is still the same. Never had a need for the choke as these things can push fuel into the manifold very quickly.

Another thing, why change the float seats if is a marine carb? As for their QC, I would find it hard to fathom."

"i thought about zip tieing th

"i thought about zip tieing the chokes but took the time and wired them right.even ran the wire through protective loom.they work fine.this guy i talked to claims e-brock was/is having problems with the coating they apply and the excess not being completely cleaned out before they ship them.hey,i'm just baffled here.its also my understanding marine carbs are supposed to be leak proof around the throttle shafts too.when these flood they leak around the secondary shafts."

The carbs MUST sit level. If

The carbs MUST sit level. If they are off 5 degrees--with the front higher than the back--they can flood.

Good carbs when set up correctly and in tune.

Jeff

"None of the marine carbs are

"None of the marine carbs are 'leakproof' at the shafts. The Fed rule requires them to have minimal leakage in a fixed period of time, something like a teaspoon a minute. You can look it up by search the FAR, if interested."

"Most of my experience has bee

"Most of my experience has been with an old Linkert or a Zenith Updraft carb type. They were basically a brass tube with a hole in it for the jet!

When I rebuilt my carbs, everything was so easy to do that even with my IN-experienced hands with these more complex carbs, they ran and tuned VERY well and VERY quickly.

However, my assumption is that the carb is level at idle and when on plane, NOT as critical . . or is that wrong? I am using the 12 degree wedge"

i'm going to go down in th

i'm going to go down in the next few days and check the exact angle.the boats out of the water but i'm going to check the water line which should be natural horizontal with a level and angle gauge against the top of the intake and see exactly where i'm at.

"On plane, the fuel is being u

"On plane, the fuel is being used up fast enough that it doesn't upset the carb. (Dumb, but that's the way all carbbed boats are run--an obvious advantage to EFI!) Mine are roughly level at idle, but definitely a bit tipped backwards on plane.

Jeff"

Back