Logo

Cutler Fuel INjection System Help

kmg3356

"I just purchased a boat with

"I just purchased a boat with twin crusader 350s 270 hp They previous owner replaced the carbs with cutler fuel injection sytems.. I am aware they went out of business in 1998 but was wondering if anyone had any experience with them The CEL light is blinking which says there is an error in the system. I read the book and it looks like a real pain to reset this up.. Any help would be greatly appreciated... The motors run rich and use more gas per house than it should ,

Thanks

Keith"

"I have the same system in my

"I have the same system in my twin 350 hp 454s. The blinking light is an error light. It can be put in a mode that will tell you the error. Mine sometimes will do this and says low voltage....from cranking, I reset it maybe twice in three years. Other than that, seems like a great system, runs mint. Cutler was bought out by Holley, ie. competition...they wouldn't have bought it if it were not a threat to them. Most parts can be crossed to holley numbers. HTH. Mark
p.s. I have the original manuals, if you need instructions on how to reset the light."

Thanks Mark. I have all the ma

Thanks Mark. I have all the manuals and have been reading them . I will pull the black cover off this weekend to see what error code it has. I need to increase the cold start fuel and figure out why it runs so rich at idle... hope it didn’t dump the fuel map.. that looks like a painful procedure... I would like to give you a call next time I go to the boat if I can’t figure out the error code.. I heard if you don’t keep 12 volts to the system it loses its memory and has to be reprogrammed. I had the boat plugged in all winter and summer but did shut off the DC. Thanks Again.. Keith

"Thats fine. Go to my site, &#

"Thats fine. Go to my site, (profile) and my number is there. I kill all dc power when I leave the boat, it is supposed to save it for seventeen? years. Cold fuel/start enrichment is easy to adjust, was it running ok before?"

"Hi Mark I see you are in Plym

"Hi Mark I see you are in Plymouth . I am in Sesuit Harbor in E Dennis. I just bought the boat in nov and didnt run it until May. Can't keep salon door open with motors running. Fumes are terrible. It runs ok but the PO use to use 13 gph per motor and I am using 16 per motor. one motor surges at low rpms. I saw an adjustment for that too. I have a 29 Ocean . I run Cape Cod Bay sunset cruise charters . No fishing charters yet.. dont want to wreck the boat. although i bass, blue and tuna fish with it .I will give you a call this weekend . Thanks Again . Keith"

Mark I live in Milford and go

Mark I live in Milford and go through Uxbridge every day on my way to work. Maybe we can just meet. Thanks.

Re: "I have the same system in my

I have a cutler on my 502s would love to see the manuals, or on how to do a reset have the flashing light syndrome. Boat runs good a little hard to start but always does. any help would be appreciated. Oh it's a 28' team warlock

-blownnos, Holly won't be much help, (been there, done er)!
I have the Cutler system on my twin crusader 454's. I have the manuals. I can copy them for you if you like. I'm on the boat 'till Friday. So, it will have to be after then.
As far as starting.....the must need adjustment, as they should pop as the key hits! Just like a new car.
I can talk you through re setting the cel's. But, you should 'read' the blinking light code. It blinks the codes out. Shoot me an e-mail with your address and i'll get the book to ya.

-blownnos, Holly won't be much help, (been there, done er)!
I have the Cutler system on my twin crusader 454's. I have the manuals. I can copy them for you if you like. I'm on the boat 'till Friday. So, it will have to be after then.
As far as starting.....the must need adjustment, as they should pop as the key hits! Just like a new car.
I can talk you through re setting the cel's. But, you should 'read' the blinking light code. It blinks the codes out. Shoot me an e-mail with your address and i'll get the book to ya.

Capt. Mark Petitt
Fire Escape Charters
Plymouth, MA
508-326-3185
www.fireescapecharters.com
[email protected]

Mark thank you so much for getting back to me WOW. Called Holley and they e-mailed both books almost understand it now well at least I know what I'am looking at but definitely appreciate the support from a fellow boater.

1. mine still doesn’t run right.. holley said it could be a throttle position sensor.. one engine pulses and i did all the adjustments according to the book.. i asked them how much it would be to convert to a normal holley FI system and it was cost prohibitive.

you want to get the multiport system to work vs going to a throttle body setup...much better performance.

The TPS sensor is nothing more than a variable resistor - if you have a good ohm meter, you can verify its operation...anything other than a smooth change in its resistance as the shaft is rotated indicates it is worn or dirty. you can also measure the voltage changes on the wiper terminal with a digital meter - just need to be more careful going down that path.

So I let the lights keep flashing,with 1 motor still hard to start but still ran good all summer,and then after a 7 mile run the other motor lost all power and shut down would not re start let set for a week pulled and tore down, main bearings all gone with pistons. Took to shop and they said it leaned out hard. I guess my ? would be should I sell the cutlers and go carbs and does anyone want to buy them cheap.

Ok I'am going to try it 1 more time now does anyone know how to cross reference the injectors have 2 bad 1s can't seem to find them already tryed Holley no help. #0385 #d1680aa #5207008 these are the numbers on mine need 2 any help would be appreciated.

"I feel your pain!" (Clinton)

I converted a carbed engine to Holley Pro-Jection years ago and had nothing but trouble getting it to run right (which it never really did). That army of engineers who tailer the 'MAP' for engines earn their keep, for it's a very time consuming and difficult job. Eventually I gave up and went back to a carb--smart move--and I suspect you might have to as well.

Good luck!

Jeff

PS: Much easier to get a boat engine--that tends to run at a set throttle position--to run efficiently with a carb. Not so automotive application with its constant throttle/ load changes. Here EFI works very much better than a carb.

Look up "fuel injector" on the www. call the first three places that pop up and give them those numbers...they should be easy to obtain if you put a little more effort in...figure about $40 - $50 for rebuilt injectors - each... any of the "custom EFI Tuners" should also be able to get you replacements...finally, you might want to consider replacing the whole set - misfiring injectors make tuning an engine almost impossible

blownos- If you end up replacing the Cutlers.....Please let me know. I would really like to have spares. Thanks, Mark

Capt. Mark Petitt
508-326-3185
[email protected]

I have two cutler systems for big block chevy. One is brand new in box. The other I used one season until computer failed. Egine shut down like I turned the key off. Make an offer if you want them. No longer have 37 Egg Harbor they were intended for. Now have 44 ocean with Detroits

Don Theroux
401-301-9279
Pawtuxet Cove, Cranston RI

Don,

We talked a week ago from today. We made a deal on your Cutler system for sale. I have called you about 6 times this past week + a few text messages, with no response. I wish you would get back to me so we could complete the transaction. I would really like to have that kit. Thanks.

John

Back