Logo

Transom platebellhousing attachment bolts

realslimshady

Contributing Member
"Hi
can anyone tell me the di

"Hi
can anyone tell me the diameter of the bolts-item 41 in this drawing-%2C0200.aspx,[url]http://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-explodedview-774089 0-04A-04A,,,0200.aspx[/url]
attaching the bellhousing to the transom shield?
Mine are completely corroded and I will have to drill them
sad.gif
"

"3/8" NC galvanized and ar

"3/8" NC galvanized and are a special "tap" bolt if you purchase them through a fastener company.

Center punch the head as close to center as you can. Drill the heads off, then some.
Sacrifice the clamping collar if you must by drilling and splitting it if need be....... they fall into the "dime/dozen" category around here.

Note that the collar will have three additional holes (9 total). These are jack thread holes for jacking it away from the flywheel cover.
These too are 3/8" NC.

."

Sounds like you have some expe

Sounds like you have some experience of this Ricardo-how tough are the bolts? Do I need to be tooled up with a dozen drill bits or what?

Sacrifice the clamping collar

Sacrifice the clamping collar if you must by drilling and splitting it if need be....... they fall into the "dime/dozen" category around here.

Really? Not around here they don't...and a quick google shows 200 bucks plus...

"If you want to save the clamp

"If you want to save the clamping ring, then just use a Dremel or similar cutting tool and cut off the bolt heads. Or even better, use a drill bit 3/8" or slightly larger to drill in the middle of each bolt's head: the heads will fall off once you hit the bolt shank. Once you drill all the bolts, you can remove the clamping ring, then you should be able to remove what is left of the bolts (perhaps even without the need of applying any heat)."

"You are welcome. Now, when yo

"You are welcome. Now, when you install the new ones make sure you coat them (shanks and threads)with "Quicksilver Perfect Seal" or similar compound . This way, you (or the next owner of your boat) will not have to face the same problem again."

Back