Logo

Swivel pin leak

rbarrow

mercruiser bravo 3 outdrive. l

mercruiser bravo 3 outdrive. leaking into bilge from outdrive steering swivel pin thru transom opening. can it be sealed without removing engine? either from inside or outside? both oil and water entering bilge.

"The oil`s coming from somepla

"The oil`s coming from someplace?
Most times rust and corrosion on the pin damages the seal allowing water to leak in. Best way is to remove the housing to repair it properly.
A grease fitting can also be added at the same time considering merc eliminated it for what ever reason.Locate the area above the seal to drill thru the housing and bushing, countersink/tap for a grease fitting."

"Had the same problem with my

"Had the same problem with my Bravo II leg on my 1996 Searay 270, it had sat in the marina (salt water) for well over 12 months unused before I purchased. The lip of the seal had rusted on to the swivel pin and when we operated the steering it ripped the centre of the seal out of the seal. I found that you do not have to remove the engine if you purchase a plug kit Mercury P/N28-88847A1, GLM16005 and I believe Sierra make one as well.
You basically use a hole saw and cut holes in either side of the upper gimbal housing using the template supplied. This allows access to the lock nut and clamp on top of the swivel pin and though the holes you have cut using a cold chisel and hammer you undo the top nut and with a socket and ring spanner loosen the steering arm clamp bolt.
After removing the bell housing, swivel pin and gimal ring you can access the swivel pin seal and bushings.
My swivel pin was a quite pitted and needed replacing however I took it to engineering shop to see it could be metal sprayed and then machined back. This could not be done as the pin is a hardened grade of steel and the heat process would have weakened the pin, they suggested fitting a Speed Sleeve, which is a approx 15 thou stainless steel sleeve that is stretched over the pin where the seal lip makes contact – the seal can handle the extra thickness at this point without any problems.
Note a new swivel pin cost almost $800 New Zealand dollars.
The two holes you have cut are tapped to take the screw in plugs supplied in the kit
The plug kit has a top lock nut that has notches in to tighten using the cold chisel and hammer.
Note the clearances and found in the bravo manual if needed, My boat has been in the water for the last twelve months without any problems, due to haul out in 2 weeks..
Hope this info is of some help."

"If the swivel pin is leaking

"If the swivel pin is leaking (and not a bellows issue)then there is a good chance that the gimbal ring is gone as well. The pin that the seal "seals" has a square base that sets in the top of the gimbal ring. The gimbal ring is split and a SS u-bolt is used to draw the top of the gimbal ring together clamping the pin in place. The problem on older Bravo transoms is that the SS u-bolt is too small and it stretches and allows the square head of the pin to slop around and distort the top of the gimbal ring. The current replacement ring has a larger u-bolt. To test this with the boat out of the water, move the drive from sid to side while watching the top of the ring and pin. If the drive/ring moves before the pin does, the top of the ring is gone. If you also have steering wheel play, this is the culprit.

You can try tightening the u-bolt, sometimes that will work, most times not.

The parts for this can be expensive. We paid US $ 1300 for a replacement gimbal ring and pin, plus incidentals when we had this job done this past spring. There are other methods that can be followed. Do a google search on "bravo gimbal ring repair" and you will find companies that re-build the rings and provide upgraded u-bolts and pins."

Doctur
Oliver
Boyd
thanks

Doctur
Oliver
Boyd
thanks for the help. am hauling out for winter and can check the suggestions over the winter.

Back