Logo

Stroker 347 adjustments

lucille

"Here's my story: Late las

"Here's my story: Late last year my 5.0 volvo penta would just die when I was pulling a skier. I thought no bigee, I'll just change the fuel filter. no fix. This season same problem but happened more often. Fuel Pump? Wife and kids on boat this summer and it died and she had to be pulled in. I smelled gas so I figured it was flooded and if it was the fuel pump I wanted to try to get some flow. Tried starting it open throttle with a little starting fluid and destroyed the engine. Destroyed. I pulled the engine and had it rebuilt. We bored it from 302 to 347. Installed pistons, connecting rods, crank, cam, new manifold and 600cfm edelbrock 4 barrel. Rebuilt main water pump, fuel pump, new distributor cap and rotor. Now the engine runs great in idle. I had her on lake to run the engine for a little break in period. Once I had it in gear after 1500 r.p.m. it cuts out and just won't go anywhere fast. My prop is a 14 1/4 x 21 stainless steel that was matched with the original 5.0. The outdrive was just fine before, its a volvo penta cobra s/x. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance."

"Ayuh,... My guess is you&#39

"Ayuh,... My guess is you've still got the same problem you had Before, with the old motor...
The fuel delivery system in the boat is Boogered up....
Something from/ between the tank vent to the Carb..."

"I vote with the green guy.

"I vote with the green guy.

check the vent line for kink or mud dauber nest. Also check the whole fuel line for cracks, splits, etc. replace or improve the anti-syphon valve. make sure any hose clamps used are in good shape and tight."

"Ditto for the most part, and

"Ditto for the most part, and check or replace fuel lines. Older hoses (although rare) can delaminate on the ID causing a restriction.

Did any of your old engine components show any signs of detonation? What is your ignition advance doing @ 3K rpm?

Check your hull harness as well. A long shot, but you may have an issue with a harness connection that is acting up while under certain conditions.

Use the good ole "P of E" .... Process of Elimination... one item, and one item ONLY at a time, and you will find it!

."

Back