Logo

347 stroker tweaks

lucille

"Here's my story: Late la

"Here's my story: Late last year my 5.0 volvo penta would just die when I was pulling a skier. I thought no bigee, I'll just change the fuel filter. no fix. This season same problem but happened more often. Fuel Pump? Wife and kids on boat this summer and it died and she had to be pulled in. I smelled gas so I figured it was flooded and if it was the fuel pump I wanted to try to get some flow. Tried starting it open throttle with a little starting fluid and destroyed the engine. Destroyed. I pulled the engine and had it rebuilt. We bored it from 302 to 347. Installed pistons, connecting rods, crank, cam, new manifold and 600cfm edelbrock 4 barrel. Rebuilt main water pump, fuel pump, new distributor cap and rotor. Now the engine runs great in idle. I had her on lake to run the engine for a little break in period. Once I had it in gear after 1500 r.p.m. it cuts out and just won't go anywhere fast. My prop is a 14 1/4 x 21 stainless steel that was matched with the original 5.0. The outdrive was just fine before, its a volvo penta cobra s/x. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance."

"Does it have a rev limiter? I

"Does it have a rev limiter? I had a customer bring in a flatbottom with a very built big block chevy with the same symptoms. He also had a new distributor he wanted me to install convinced that was the problem. After changing the distributer and ignition modual the problem persisted. I noticed the boat had a rev limiter built into the tach. It was set to 1500 RPM. Apparently someone accidently changed the setting when wipeing down. The point is when trouble shooting start with the simple easy things before moving onto the more complicated (expensive) things. Start with the battery and connections, then check all of your distributer wiring connections.
G"

Back