Logo

Carburetor corrosion

bubawhite

"I live in Brazil and I use a

"I live in Brazil and I use a Yamaha F15AMHS outboard, purchased in Nov 2004, model 2005.
Our fuel is a mixture of gazoline, ethanol and many other odd substances, including chit.
This horrible mixture corroded my carburetor and the fuel pump in a question of months, causing erratic function of the motor. Is there a carburetor I could use with this fuel?"

"Additives in the fuel of any

"Additives in the fuel of any outboard is not good. In America we have 10% or less ethanol in the fuel we use, and that's bad enough. In terms of using a different carburetor, I have never herd of it and I know for a fact that Yamaha does not sell one, so I wouldn't recommend it. Your best bet is to salvage the carb you have now, if possible, and find good fuel. Replace the fuel pump as well. Good luck!

P.S. Heavy additives in fuel can also case catastrophic engine failure such as pre-ignition and detonation. Which in that case your talking big $$."

You need to clean the carby or

You need to clean the carby or buy a new one if yours is no good. You also need to run some fuel stabiliser in the fuel tank and get into the habit of running the engine out of fuel. The etthanol in the fuel is hydroscopic and absorbs moisture this builds up and you end up with water in the carby which is corroding it up

Back