Logo

74L Oil Change Engine and Drive Amsoil

jpflhr

I just purchased a Sea Ray wit

I just purchased a Sea Ray with a 454 with 440 hrs- It has always been servied at a Marina and looks like they used Straight Chevron 40 wt -- Engine has no leaks and good Oil pressure.

Is there a concern to use Synthetics on a older engine?

I am thinking of going to Amsoil Marine 10-40 oil?

I also want to do the Bravo 1 drive and change to Amsoil Universal Synthetic Marine Gear Lube instead of the Mercruiser Mercruiser High Performance Gear Lube?

Is this a good choice at this time?

Thanks
John

"Engine, Mobil 15-50 or any sy

"Engine, Mobil 15-50 or any synthetic is fine!!!

There is no major differences between most synthetics, They all meet or exceed manufactures specs. Some have better concentrations of certain additives and some dont.

The AMSOIL vs every other oil is a ""marketing"" argument on almost every boat/motorcycle/auto web site.....................

Outdrive I would strongly reccomend merc high performance gear lube.

It is one of the best gear lubes I have ever come across.............for it intended use.

It is the only gear lube I use on outdrives/lower units (outboards)

I personally have never seen or heard any evidence about one vs the other (motor oils).

All I have ever heard/seen is the results of using synthetics vs mineral oil not not the type. The synthetic motors typically are very clean and a noticable lack of wear.....

Use what you want just change it regularly.
Sythetics typically allow longer between changes."

"I agree w/Kghost. The only i

"I agree w/Kghost. The only issue I have had experience w/in switching to synthetic oil on an older engine is there may be oil leaks where there weren't before due to seal aging. My rear main seal started leaking immediately.

Amsoil claims to be a pure synthetic including the carrier oil whereas all the others use a mineral oil carrier and add the synthetic properties to it. Just what I last read about them.
rain.gif
"

"unless in a very cold climate

"unless in a very cold climate, I wouldn't use any oil starting with a number lower than 20.
(Except in a Volvo Penta where there is an engine oil cooler.)"

Back