Logo

Water or Gas in my crankcase Honda BF35

apat03885

"Hi. My Honda BF35 is plagued

"Hi. My Honda BF35 is plagued with either water or gas in the crankcase. How do I tell if it is water or gas, for sure? The color of the oil is uniformly grey, with no milky streaks. The crankcase is WAY overfull though. I did a compression test yesterday and from top to bottom the result was 200 PSI, 190 PSI, and 190 PSI. Compression looks good. If I can figure out for sure if it's water or gas, it will determine my next course of action. Thanks."

"With water, it would look lik

"With water, it would look like a light coffee colored milkshake and thick.

Gas contamination should smell like gasoline, but no color change and thining viscocity.

One caution would be that not ALL Motor Oils will mix with water (Castrol Synthetic, for one)!

You would not want one of those oils in your outboard motor.

Your case certainly calls for a complete drain of crankcase oil and then it should be easy to tell.

A large amount of gas would point to Fuel Pump Diaphram and water would point to head gasket."

I drained the oil today and de

I drained the oil today and determined that it is in fact water. The results of my compression test indicate no issues with head gasket. I pulled the thermostat and found it stuck open. Could this be the cause of the water in the crankcase? Thanks!

I don't think the stat wou

I don't think the stat would cause this problem.

It seems to me that the only hope for a simple solution is if the base gasket is leaking. This could let water into the oil pan.

Start with the t-stat and watc

Start with the t-stat and watch it closely over the next while to see if no further water enters the oil. I would also flush it a couple of times with fresh oil before running it for longer periods.

Back