Logo

Anode question

txgalzdah

Regular Contributor
"1967 Mur-Tex, 17ft, 120 Hp, 1

"1967 Mur-Tex, 17ft, 120 Hp, 153ci, I4. Total rebuild. Southwest Indiana is a great place. My bones still ache for central Florida.
My antique is queued for the winter. Thanks to all who posted info on winterizing.
I am moving into the sterndrive and doing a great deal of study/learning. I have searched the DB on anodes. I know what they do and why. My question is on the trim tab above the prop. My antique is painted. From my experience these should be bare to the water.
I would like any input / experiences one might have on this.
Regards,
TxGalz Dah"

"needs to be bare metal else i

"needs to be bare metal else it wont' do it's job electrically, but I trailer, and anodes aren't as important."

"Like Brian said, if it sits o

"Like Brian said, if it sits on a trailer, the steering trim function would be the one to worry about.

If it spends a lot of time floating, in fresh water, you may want to consider the non-zinc compounds. The anodes should NOT be painted and need to make good electrical contact with the metal they are protecting, too."

"My barge will be trailered as

"My barge will be trailered as well. Thanks for the input. I will double check my anode contacts.
thumbs_up.gif
"

"It depends on your water situ

"It depends on your water situation. I trailer mine as well but my brand new anode this year now looks like the pitted used up one I replaced earlier this season. This is only after spending two solid weeks in the salt chuck. Most other times this year was spent on the lake. But yes take the paint off or replace it with a bare one.

There was a pretty good post in the Volvo-Penta board on which type of Anode to use for what kind of water, type of hull material, etc. I wish I could find it for you but not having any luck."

"PugetSounder,
Thanks for

"PugetSounder,
Thanks for the lead. I will jump over to the VP board and do some anode searching there.
Thanks yall."

Back