Logo

Mecruiser 470 winterization

j_reed

"for the 1st time I have winte

"for the 1st time I have winterized a mecruiser 470, the antifeeze checked ok, other than the water in the heat exchanger is there anything else to drain? the pipe in the power steering cooler seemed to be going downhill so I didn't add any rv. am I missing something? thanks.
-jay"

"brian
I didn't see a dra

"brian
I didn't see a drain on the exhaust manifold, is there one on the 470 engines? -jay"

"I thought there was.. if noth

"I thought there was.. if nothing then you would want to make sure it's drained somehow. Also if you have a cylinder under the manifold with 4 hoses going it.. you'll want to make sure that is empty, and there should be a plug or drain on the side of the block, that's typically it, sorry it's been a while for me with that engine, i've winterized many mercruisers, omc's, volvo pentas, but not to many of the 470's style to remember exactly."

"According to my 470 users man

"According to my 470 users manual all you have to do is pull the forward plug on the heat exchanger and drain by lowering your bow. You may have to get a new rubber gasket but I have been using the same one for three years no problems. Let the raw water drain out the bilge drain. For added protection you may want to suck some anti-freeze through the leg just in case. Also you will want to store the boat with leg in the down position to drain and cover the prop shaft housing with a plastic bag to prevent water, snow, and ice form getting in the cracking the housing."

Jay Pug is correct i have a 47

Jay Pug is correct i have a 470 myself just pull the front cap on the exchanger and loosen the back one just a bit to let it burp for saftey and make sure outdrive is down and that will cover the cooling you may want to do the fogging to the cylyders and stabil to the fuel and you can also fog the carb

Also Jay just something to kee

Also Jay just something to keep in mind for next spring if you put the cap back on and you have a drip take the gasket off and turn it around and 90% of the time it will stop drippin

"hey guys
thanks for the repl

"hey guys
thanks for the replies... I assume what you're referring to is the large disk end of the heat exchanger with the bolt in the middle, I did not know that needed to come off. what I did do to drain was remove one of two brass bolts in the bottom rear of the heat exchanger. (one drains water, one drains antifreeze) I drained the water one and fished it with scrap wire. is this enough or does the front of heat exchanger have to come off??? further details, boat is 1988, stingray, 165 horse 4cyl, I believe it's 3" exchanger.
ps, I did stabil, fog, change out drive fluid, grease gimbal, prop etc, lowered outdrive and covered prop."

Yes Jay take off the disk on

Yes Jay take off the disk on the front of the exchanger and dolly down the front of the boat to assure all the water is out of it store the disk and bolt and reinstall in the spring

Back