Logo

Saildrive 150 SB problems forward

mano

"Time delay when put forward g

"Time delay when put forward gear , need to leave at idle for few seconds and then increase the rpm .If not stay in neutral ,then need to return back to neutral and start all over again .
Saildrive hour 488 and oil good level and condition .
Any ideas to help .
Thanks .
Ivan"

Check oil correct no additives

Check oil correct no additives no atf linkages & full arm movement. reckon it is caused by glazed clutch cones due to either shifting to slow & gentle or not locking prop in reverse position when sailing.Shakey.

"Hi Doug .
Thanks for the ans

"Hi Doug .
Thanks for the answer , I checked today and the boat is fited with 3 blades folding propeller.
I think the problem is with the clutch.
thanks .
Ivan"

I have problems with the 150

I have problems with the 150 S sail drive on a D2 75 engine.(the propellor is a 4 bladed folding volvo prop)
My boat was launched NEW in April 2008.
After only 100hrs I had problems with the drive slipping when coming into my berth on astern. The drive is ok when coming on astern but as soon as I put the engine in neutral and then into forward to stop the boat the clutch slips and the forward gear does not engage.
When this happened I spoke to the local Volvo dealer who open the drive and somehow shimmed the clutch plates under warranty . This was ok for about 40hrs and the problem appeared again for the 2nd time. When this happened for the third time I complained and Volvo sent a new drive to replace the 4 month old drive in August 2008.
Last year when the engine counter was reading 420hrs the new drive failed again (4th time overall and 1st time on the new drive after 180hrs of operation). This time Volvo sent a new kit with the clutch plates and springs which was also installed under warranty by a Volvo dealer in Greece as this time it happened when I was on holiday.
Today the engine is nearly 23 months old and it has 580 hrs and this problem occured again for the 5th time.
Now I am going crazy as i cannot accept the fact that this drive works for only 100 to 180 hrs before it develops the slipping problem again. So far all the repairs and parts were carried under the Volvo warranty but now the warrant expires in a few weeks time. Does anybody have a solution?

"When sailing, are you locking

"When sailing, are you locking the drive in reverse or just letting it trail in neutral?"

"Yes definitely I do lock in a

"Yes definitely I do lock in astern as soon as i switch off.
This is definetely a volvo problem. What i cannot understand is that i had the same engine D2 75 with same 150S sail drive and same volvo folding 4 bladded propellor on a previous boat since 2004 and never had a problem . Since 2008 i had this problem 5 times myself and know at least 6 other sailors with similar engines on Dufours, Bavarias and Grand Soleil boats who also had problems one to 2 times.some of these boats have folding props too but others have fixed 3 bladed."

"You describe a typical multi-

"You describe a typical multi-disk clutch problem.
Been fighting that for years with Hurth and ZF and BMW drives (Hurth)gearboxes with multiple attempts to solutions.
Some works, some acts just like yours.
The multi disc clutches have some advantages and some dis-advantages.
The pro is you may shift at higher rpm without transmission damage.
The draw back s are mainly what you describe.
There are a few traps.
Oil quality and contamination is a killer, as well as synthetic oils. If the oil-film gets too 'good' you are in trouble.
next up is shift cable travel and adjustment. Too tight cable and it does not go properly into gear.
Then shifting technique. Shift decisive and next to brutal! It should be a 'bang'. Soft careful shifting polishes the clutch disks and burn the steel-plates.
Sometimes it helps washing out the gear-box with a mix of kerosene/diesel and 1/3 oil. Run in idle, shift forward and back several times, drain and fill correct oil.
Shimming the pack to tight may worsen the problem as the oil gets no chance to clean out between the disks when not engaged.
If when dismantling you find 'blued' out steel disks, change the big bevel springs at the end!
the best would be some nice color picks of your dismantled clutch package to see what has been going on."

we have this problem in all bavaria with 150sb saildrive. Last year with the new 47 we had this problem at the first charter so propably i beleive that is bad construction of the group part of the gearbox.

We have been solving peoples problems world wide, the discs we provide exceeds the lifetime of the volvo pentas discs.

We have been selling them for two years and nobody has come back to us telling us that they have worn out.
Our product is lasting longer than the original equipment. Also we have improved the quality of the washer in the sail drive (part number 3582571).

www.industrialfriction.com

Back