Logo

Battery Questions

wblazer

Regular Contributor
"Hi Guys,

Have a couple bat

"Hi Guys,

Have a couple battery related questions. I have a 86 21ft. Four Winns Cutty.What value cca battery, would you suggest? And what amp battery charger should I use during the winter to charge when season is over,and it is removed. Thanks for your help."

You don't say what engine

You don't say what engine it will be cranking. Assuming a V-8 you shouldn't need more than 650 CCA. More important is that you get one w/the most Reserve Capacity in Minutes and it should be a Marine Battery.

Battery charger for off season storage: get an automatic "Battery Tender". Don't get the "Junior" model since its circuitry is weak and won't hold up long even though it has a warranty you'll be sending it back for exchange.

"Walt:

You're welcome.

"Walt:

You're welcome. When you buy the battery look for the date code on it. The month is A=1, B=2, C=3, etc. The year is numeric; 2009= 09 or 9. Never buy one more than 3 mos. old."

"FWIW, I had a big block manua

"FWIW, I had a big block manual out today looking up min oil pressure specs. The 502 CID engines had the largest battery requirement and it was 550 CCA. I've found that properly sized and installed battery cables play a much larger role in reliable electrical system performance than any other parameter. This is one area where it is really foolish to get cheap; especially if you boat far from shore."

"Yea dont scimp when it comes

"Yea dont scimp when it comes to cranking that baby up to come back to land
2_cents.gif
"

"Guys

FYI
Last time I put

"Guys

FYI
Last time I put an ammeter on a MC 350 whilst cranking, it was consuming 180amps. Standard starter, (not high speed gear reduction job). Big CCA batteries are better than small, but as mako was gettin at, good cables, connections, and perfect charging system, is the key to good reliable starting. BTW of coarse, buy the biggest battery you can afford and fit. Mark."

Back