Logo

AQ171 ignition control unit

alphatech

Is ther a way to make an ignit

Is ther a way to make an ignition control unit from a Volvo car work in place of the AQ171 marine version?
The marine version retails for $1100.00.The auto version is about $300.00.
I know a 1990 Volvo 740GLE ignition unit is physically the same but it does not seem to be a direct swap.

"If the auto version of a dist

"If the auto version of a distributor is NOT rated SAE J1171, then it should not be used on a marine engine. Moreover, marine distributors do not have vacuum advance (car distributors do), and the mechanical advance curve is usually not the same as automotive.

2_cents.gif
"

"The use of this auto part may

"The use of this auto part may also gain you a nice citation from your equivilant of our U S Coast Guard or River Patrol should you ever be inspected.
Doubt that the ignition protection side of this is an issue (although certainly not marine approved), but if so, this potentially puts you and your family and friends at risk.... not to mention your engine if the curve/limit are incorrect."

"And... should you have an eve

"And... should you have an event of an explosive or flamitory nature, your insurance won't pay."

I was refering to the solid st

I was refering to the solid state control unit not the distributor assembly. Point is taken though. I hadn't thought of it as a safety concern since there are no moving parts and therefore no source for spark. But you are correct better safe then sorry.

"Ben, true..., being solid sta

"Ben, true..., being solid state does reduce the risk..... may even eliminates it.
However, we all just want you to be safe and not risk engine damage!"

Would anyone out there have an

Would anyone out there have an ignition module for an AQ171 for sale? I can't seem to locate one in my area.

Back