Logo

Lower Unit Installed Correctly

gman653

"I just replced the water pump

"I just replced the water pump in my Alpha 1 lower unit according to the Merc service manual and also reading tips on the forum. My question is there a test to make sure the shifter is lined up correctly. I turned the shifter clockwise and held the lower unit's prop counterclockwise and installed the halves and with a little wiggling I got the halves to seat. With the engine running and muffs on it shifts forward and goes into reverse with the prop spinning correctly and no grinding. The reason I'm still concerned is with the engine off and the shifter in forward the prop locks while turning counterclockwise and spins clockwise, in neutral it spins both ways but in reverse I can spin in bothways but clockwise it's stiff and noisey but it will spin. I feel it should act the same as in forward with it locking one way but the reverse of forward gear. Just to clarify it did spin correctly with the engine running but I realize there is no load on the prop. Not sure if this a correct way to check anyhow that is why I'm asking. Just afraid to get it is the water and find it won't move. One other question I have is while the engine is running with the muffs on I notice water coming out a hole that is located right behind the shift pins that must aline in forward gear when installing the outdrive to the transom This hole is in the lower part of the outdrive. I have good flow to my heat exchanger so I know the pump is working but I never noticed if water came out this hole before. I'm just concered the I may have cut a seal or something.

Thanks for and help on my ?s

Gman"

"When in forward gear with eng

"When in forward gear with engine NOT running, The prop locks in the c'clockwise direction and clicks in the clockwise direction.

Just the opposite for reverse......

The clutch dog the engages forward and reverse has a saw tooth profile and when the teeth engage they lock together but when they spin opposite they spring over the other. see pic.......
294696.jpg
"

"I like to have the same click

"I like to have the same clicking in both directions, the lower cable may need an adjustment or it's almost time to replace.

Hole behind the shift pins ?

There is a hole on the lower case, about 4 inches down from where they meet, is that where you are talking about ? or are you actually talking about on the top of the lower case at the shift arm. ?"

"Thanks for the input. Is it p

"Thanks for the input. Is it possible then that even though it spins the prop correctly with the engine running in both directions that I still am off on the shifter spines? Also the hole I'm talking about with the water coming out is right behind the pin that is in the lower part that has to line up when installing the drive to the transom.
It is hard to see as it is located inside the back part of the unit right behind the shaft. It looks like it's cast into the unit and is about 1/4 to 1/2 in diameter. This may be normal but I'm not sure. BTW the shift cable is about 3 years old and has been working fine.

Thanks again,

Gary"

"There is a shift bracket wher

"There is a shift bracket where the short and the long cables meet.

The short cable is mounted to a slightly curved piece that has a slot in it.

Below the nuts that hold the cable in place there is another nut that tightens the cable stud in the slot.

Loosen that nut only and move the cable stud so the cable end pulls away from the rest of the cable. Approximatly 1/4 inch, no more.

Retighten the cable stud nut and recheck the engagemnet.

294713.jpg
"

Hey Kghost do you have a link

Hey Kghost do you have a link for that? I would like to print it out in 8.5" x 11" and stick in it in my shop manual for future use. The one in your post is too small to read. Thanks.

Best I can do

I saved it to

Best I can do

I saved it to small myself.......

I only saved it for others as I know the procedure by hart.....

"Update, Thanks Kghost and th

"Update, Thanks Kghost and the others that responded to my ?'s, I wanted to recheck eveything before making any adjustments and found the my neighbor who I had helping me did not pull it into reverse all the way when I was moving the prop. This time I did this myself and the prop locks up one way and clicks the other and is the opposite in forward gear so I had it lined up correctly afterall. As far as the water coming out the hole issue , the hole is right behind the rearward stud that comes up from the lower half of the unit and in front of the shift shaft assembly.It is in the lower half and with the engine running water is coming out of it. I can try and take a picture if needed.

Thanks again,

Gary"

Back