Logo

UPDATE Seeping AntiFreeze

knuckle47

Advanced Contributor
"Took the day off to deal with

"Took the day off to deal with this problem. With new intake gaskets in hand I went to replace them but could not help but think that the problem must be a dripping hose clamp somewhere. Never found a loose one but I did not install the new intake gaskets. I began to realize that this situation did not exist a few hours of use before until I removed the heat exchangers to solder the fittings. In removing one of the coolant carrying lines I had to have created this problem by not getting a hose seated properly so I did remove and re connect each.

I also had noticed that on out way in, temps were about 180 and we never have a problem there. Steam was real good out of the exhaust so I was ready to rebuild the E-35 Sherwood as well. The new belt was quite loose so this may have accounted for the heat issue. On the other hand, I wanted to look inside the pump to be sure. IT is a BITC# to get at and once the engine is hot...it ain't happening.

Upon removing the cover of the E-35, there was a noticeable groove below the cam area on the cover place. Took it all apart, replaced the impeller and gaskets.

Measured the cover thickness at .240. Used a piece of 320 grit paper on my table saw top (flat) and removed .003 of material which removed 75% of the groove. I did not have a new cover to install. It looks better.

Any comments of whether this may be a problem? I could order a major rebuild kit but it just did not look like it needed that. How to you know when the cam plate is screwed up?"

"Belt was probably the worst o

"Belt was probably the worst of the 'steam'.

The guy who taught me about pumps always said its not what you see but what you can feel that matters - if your fingernail can catch in a groove, it's too much. maybe a bit more time will eliminate the groove.

Cam plate or cam??? We always changed them when the 'outlet edge' "fingers" got 'pointed' or sharp. You can compare it to the inlet side as they seem to wear much slower. You can also check the vanes, where the 'rods' are - any deformation where the cam fingers are means new camm and new impeller.

Do you have the sherwood tech sheet on the pump?"

"Thanks Mark,

I agree with

"Thanks Mark,

I agree with you about the steam. I should have known as I always check the effluent from the transom. I had even said to my brother before we left the dock in the morning that the port flow looked less than starbord. I just found the tech sheet in their 2009-2019 spec and serive manual. They call it the "R" series. I can probably eliminate the groove abut will need to remove another .007 of material. The the back of the plate will be completely flat.

Cam Plate is what I refer to. This one is about 110 hours use on it. Seems to be fine based on the description you provide. Last year I bought a new pump on eBay for $90.00. I would just swap them out but this one is really not that old. Must have suck in some fine sand and possibly ate up a little bit. On the way into Little Egg Inlet from the north is a nearly 2 mile long sandbar that you cannot cross. The weird part is to see wave breaking out were the water should be 30-50'. We probably tried to cross it once in the spring without heading out around it. Check it out on Google Earth...the next inlet north of Atlantic City"

"You can flatten the cover a b

"You can flatten the cover a bunch. It will be time for a new one when you can't get the carbon bushing to a flush depth.

Those sandbars are pretty prevalent along the mid-atlantic. Some are more prominent than others. The 'neat' ones are labeled in the Coast Pilot as needing "local knowledge". I've been thru a couple and seen some commercial guys do some crazy stuff at others. They all get real interesting when an offshore storm starts sending 10'+ ground swells into those bars. and don't forget Hatteras Inlet with a strong NE wind. I think that stacks up the inlet better than the gulf stream, especially on an ebb tide."

"Good Tip on the cover. So fa

"Good Tip on the cover. So far thew carbon bushing has a way to go... The Coast Pilot to my best knowledge fails to mention this sandbar but I have read about the ones that say Local Knowledge. Two seasons ago a 70 foot fishing boat came thru Barnegat Inlet and rolled onto its' side as the keel caught the drifting sand and highsided the boat, then flipped. No one hurt but IT sure looked scary passing so close to the boat on its side on the way in and out. Big red hull...made it into the Boat US magazine that year too.

That Hatteras area can be very bad. Never sailed it but saw it from a house we had rented on stilts for a few weeks YEARS ago. (When it was a little more affordable)"

Back