Logo

No spark from distributor125 AQ a

617mike

"Help,I tried starting boat to

"Help,I tried starting boat today...cranked ok...spark from coil wire to distributor.No spark at spark plugs.Pertronix was installed last winter.Distributor cap new last winter.'Cleaned spark plugs.
Rained buckets yesterday.Could this be the root of the problem?
Even though electronic ignition was installed,throttle usually had to be pumped till operating temp. was reached.This procedure seemed common enough considering there really is no manual choke.
A couple of times while attemping to start the beast,the engine did a small cough just as I was turning the key into the off position after cranking.
Any help will be appreciated I just need the beast to limp back to the ramp so that it can go back to it's cave...End of season.
sad.gif

Boat started OK this past Monday,dry day."

"Could the gap have closed???O

"Could the gap have closed???Or could moisture be accruing at gap,preventing spark to continue on?"

"If you get spark at the coil,

"If you get spark at the coil, the Pertronix kit is OK. That limits your problem to rotor, cap ignition wires and spark plugs.

How old are the ignition wires? If too old and in addition they are wet, they may be the problem. Consider replacing them if they are old, they are not so expensive anyway.

Also, have you removed the distributor cap to have a look inside the distributor? Maybe you will find some fish swimming inside...
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
"

"Wires are new this past winte

"Wires are new this past winter.Rotor looks OK...Took file to remove what little oxidation there was.I have new plugs I can throw in.

When I look into distributor,under Pertronix,what am I looking for?Moisture?I'm thinking that the whole situation needs to dry out..."

"Michael, if you open the dist

"Michael, if you open the distributor and find moisture, the first thing is to dry it out, then run the engine and see if the problem has cleared. You may want, at a later date, to remove the distributor and oil the bushings in the centrifugal advance weights and make sure the springs are corrosion free (a bit of grease on the springs, or Fluid Film, will increase their life)."

Thanks El!I will row out to th

Thanks El!I will row out to the mooring and check this out over the next day or so.Should I spray a little wire-dryer down there?
PM'ing the distributor sounds as if it will pay dividends in the future.

"Perhaps your best bet is open

"Perhaps your best bet is opening the distributor and use compressed air to dry it, then a hair dryer and afterward a bit of WD40 or CRC electric cleaner or similar."

"Compressed air I can probably

"Compressed air I can probably do.As far as hair dryer,I'd need a 1500' extension cord with a GFI,don't know what gauge wire I'd use,' probably get some line loss
biggrin.gif
...Still at mooring...I'll shoot some WD 40 or CRC down in there,hopefully that'll displace the aquatic gremlins from their hovel...Thanks again!"

Back