Logo

Next ProblemSeeping Antifreeze

knuckle47

Advanced Contributor
"Weather cleared some, went ou

"Weather cleared some, went out in the fog and upon returning to the bay just took a peek into the engine hatches and on the top of the port intake manifold I had found about 1/2 cup of antifreeze. It does not seem to be from a hose or clamp . I re-torqued the intake manifold and those bolts were 1/2 spec. I am thinking I should pull the manifold and put in new intake gaskets. As for running, it had been perfect...so you can imagine the surprise on my face when I opened the hatch. Then as luck has it, the last 8-9 miles she ran hot, about 180.

I need to check the raw water impeller as it is now 2 seasons but I think the water volume is reduced in the heat exchanger as well as discharged exhaust water looked a bit light. Had left my temp gun in the house so... I have more "stuff" to check out BUT....
Does anyone believe this is a different issue regarding the leaking ? AL"

"Al; do you have coolant reco

"Al; do you have coolant recovery tanks? I don't, and I could get spewing out the overflow nipple. It might be time to do a pressure test, and check for coolant escaping the intake manifold, both into the oil and upwards as well. How are the gaskets on the thermo housing, much easier to replace! Is there a petcock on it or the stock pipe plug for purging?"

concur on the pressure tester.

concur on the pressure tester. could just as easily be your friendly HX nipples leaking. I had one drive me nuts - it would 'squirt' onto the old oem ignition coil.......

what do you mean "1/2 spec"?

"Mark,

1/2 spec: They were

"Mark,

1/2 spec: They were in at about 15 lbs torque ...less than half of around what it should be.

Dave,

Yes there are coolant recovery tanks off of the neck of heat exchanger. I have a new set of pleasurecraft gaskets. They seem nicer then the felpro ones I used 2 yrs ago. and yes to the thermo housing but those areas are dry. I just got back to see if anyone responded to this post before going to the boat. AS I REMEMBER...all of this seems to have started since I had to take out the Heat Exchanger for solder those nipples back in place. I am STARTING to think I have a hose dripping under higher RPM's that is just depositing the drip into the intake manifold so that it puddles up and makes me NUTS ! I'll let you know what I find out tonight when I get back...Thanks for all of the hints."

Back