Logo

Volvo Penta 57 GXI DP 320HP question

rciraco

"Hello,

I am planning on ge

"Hello,

I am planning on getting a boat with this engine. It is going to be only used in saltwater and sitting in a slip for 7 months out of the year. I usually see only mercruiser engines in my area. Is running this engine in saltwater ok in the long run? Once a month or so, I would take the boat out of the water, and scrub down the barnicles and clean out the outdrive.

Please let me know.

Thanks."

"Mercruiser engines are mostly

"Mercruiser engines are mostly Ford and Chevy engines, same as Volvo Penta.

The 5.7 GXI should be OK for salt water if raw water cooled, and even much better if it has a closed cooling system."

i dont know if the engine is w

i dont know if the engine is water cooled or has a closed cooling system. Not sure what D.P. stands for either.

"Ray,

Eduardo is correct..D

"Ray,

Eduardo is correct..DP is for duo prop..It has 2 counter rotating propellers on the same drive shaft. Less propeller slip, better plane time,better fuel economy, and better handling. This out drive is a lot better better than ANY Mercruiser IMO...Just make sure you do routine maintenance as its ALWAYS gonna be in salt water and keep everything up to par and it should be a good out drive for many years of service. Good luck and hope everything works out for you."

"Thanks Jesse. I spoke to the

"Thanks Jesse. I spoke to the mechanic at my dealer and he said this is a "raw cooled" engine meaning it uses water from the outside to cool the engine, almost like an open loop. He did say that it can be changed to a closed loop cooling system. not sure if i want to go that route though."

"Many V8 engines will run raw

"Many V8 engines will run raw water cooled for many years trouble free, but they will never last as long as if they were closed cooled. Also, winterizing is much easier if the engine has a closed cooling system. If you search the forum, you will see that many posters had to chuck their otherwise good engines due to not draining them properly before the winter. Personally, I would invest in a closed cooling system, especially if it freezes in your area and you use the engine in salt water."

"Salt water? Go with the close

"Salt water? Go with the closed cooling system. You won't regret it.
Once salt water corrosion starts, it does not sleep.

The DP aluminum props will need to be pulled twice annually, hub/splines cleaned and re-greased. When these become corroded onto the prop shaft, often the only solution is to cut them off. $$$$$$$$$$$$
I've cut some beautiful propellers from drives in the past. What a shame.

."

"RE: "Go with the closed c

"RE: "Go with the closed cooling system. You won't regret it. "

Also... sea water cooled engines have T'stats in the 130/140 range to prevent salts from precipitating out while closed clooling systems use 160 or higher T'stats.

Running an engine at the lower temp results in poorer fuel economy and a handfull of other suboptimal things to occur, including lubricating oil issues."

Back