Logo

Shift problem on 50L

dougb

"The last time I had my boat o

"The last time I had my boat out, Bayliner 2050 5.0L, the throttle would not close and come back into neutral. The engine would not come below 2000 rpm and had to be shut down with the key. It appears there is physical stop in the contol lever which is engaged just after forward is engaged and the throttle starts to open. Then will not allow the lever to come back. If I take the shift cable off the engine, the lever works fine and the physical stop is not present and the lever comes back into nuetral. As soon as I put the cable back on and shift into foward the physical stop returns. It does not happen in reverse. I assume this is a problem with the control as I have not had a issue with the engine or gears before. Any ideas?"

Which shift cable are you remo

Which shift cable are you removing; the one from the OD or the shift commander?

"I believe I removed the cable

"I believe I removed the cable that comes from the Shift commader, sits on the top left of the motor as you are looking to the stern. This same cable conection appears to have a spring loaded damper connected to the same location. It is trhe cable that runs from the throttle/shift control"

The shift assy. may just need

The shift assy. may just need some lube or there is some debris blocking the movement of some parts. Do you have a manual? You have to remove the assy. from the side board to get a look at it. Don't take it apart just remove the plastic cover to view it. Use a light spray lube like fogging oil. You may have a mouse or spider nest in it.

The Damper is actually there t

The Damper is actually there to help with returning to neutral. Could be your lower shift cable needs servicing. Has anyone serviced the outdrive recently ?

"Thanks, The outdrive hasn&#3

"Thanks, The outdrive hasn't been serviced lately but with the commander cable and damper removed the cable assembly for the outdrive moves easily in and out of gear. I do have the Commader installation manual. The next thing I will try is to remove the assembly from the sideboard and try to lubricate."

Back