Logo

Crusaders 270 fuel tanks

eggharborrick

Contributing Member
85 silverton 34C with 270 crus

85 silverton 34C with 270 crusaders. anyone ever taken the fuel tanks out of one of these.anyone know anyone that ever took the fuel tanks out of one of these. looks like they built the boat around them. anyone have a good method of flushing the fuel tanks.have a geenish growth on the pickup tubes.boat sat for 4 years with full tanks.fuel smells horrid.i know they need drained but anyone have any suggestions after that. thanks

"You'll have to drain and

"You'll have to drain and refill them a few times to clear them out, and go through a bunch of filters.

Are they leaking? If not, follow the above. If yes...oh boy are you in for it!

Jeff"

"Rick,

IF IT IS LIKE MINE,

"Rick,

IF IT IS LIKE MINE,

You may need to remove the 1/2 floor inside the saloon and then you will have enough space to remove the tank and have access to the mounting tabs and straps....My floor is plywood so it is a basic construction type job. Be careful underneath as there are a few chases below with wiring and cables running thru on the starboard side. The next worse part is what to do with the muck inside the tank. Seems like we are not to far apart from each other and have similiar interests...if you need help on a day I am free.....AL"

no leaks i'm aware of.just

no leaks i'm aware of.just thinking ahead to the worse case. been taking about 30 gallons at a time out and bringing it home to burn in the shop waste oil heater.were these known to leak? i hate to fill the tanks this late in the season and let them sit till april. any harm in leaving them with only a few gallons over winter.i figured on dropping the pickup tube into a 5 gal can of fresh fuel with stabile to run the lines and carb clear and then fogging it.

"Check the name plate on your

"Check the name plate on your tank...Mine was made in Toms River, NJ has not leaked and during the winter I have left it both ways. Two years, I had less than 30 gallons in it and the last two years I had it full. Ethanol and all, never had any fuel problems in the spring. I did always use a stabilizer despite the countless stories out there about ethanol fuel phase separation."

"yeah,toms river rings a bell.

"yeah,toms river rings a bell.be down this week and check for sure.i'm actually in the atlantic highlands area.got the boat cheap from a friend of my folks.sat for 4 years.took all summer to get it ready.was hoping to hit water but i think i'll wait now till spring.motors run great but this old fuel has gotta go.changed everything on the engines front to back-top to bottom.got a real nice boat now for under 8k."

"I just did a 34C last week an

"I just did a 34C last week and recently this 362 but you don't even want to know what that one took. OK I'll show you anyway.
294747.jpg

The 34A only required removal of both motors, the forward windshield and cutting a chunk off of the cabintop where it overhung the windshield. You're lucky, you have a nice big door to work with."

"My buddy had to remove a huge

"My buddy had to remove a huge section of hull side to get a bad Detroit diesel out of his aluminum boat, then MIG it all back together. But that was easy compared to this deal.

I'd hate to be the guy f-glassing that hull section back in (which has to be mainly done from the INSIDE!)

Jeff"

"Yeah, sucks being me. I had

"Yeah, sucks being me. I had to cut the piece into 10" sections so I could piece it back together. Once the tank was in place you could not reach under it to laminate. I had to slide it in place, prop it up so I could reach under it then install one strip at a time, working my way up from the bottom.

Turned out OK though.
294761.jpg
"

"Great Work Rick ! It looks b

"Great Work Rick ! It looks beautiful. You should consider workshops. Limit 10 per class,$175.00 ea. for a few hour program on services, maintenance, etc. All the stuff you give free advice on, right here.

Then you can spend hours explaining the good stuff to all kinds of nutty people like myself..., be involved in boating even more, never go out yourself and eventually hate it so much, you wind up moving to the dry plains of the midwest...Maybe that's not a good idea after all."

"It's what took place betw

"It's what took place between the times those two pictures were taken that really matters. This job required also cutting the interior pan, replacing two rotted bulkheads and reassembling. Unfortunately I didn't take many pictures of the interior, it was a mess. When done, it had all new carpeting and looked like new.

Here is a link to my new Facebook page which highlights some of my recent projects.

Stop by, look around and leave a comment.

http://www.facebook.com/rick.sweeten?v=feed&story_fbid=146193452511#/pages/Mulli ca-Hill-NJ/Line-Six-Services/146299968990?ref=mf"

Back