Logo

Water contamination from condensation

yhc

"Good evening,

I have 2003

"Good evening,

I have 2003 twin Honda BF 200 on my boat I purchased in 2007. When I winterized the motors in the past I have fogged the engine, changed motor oil, lower unit lube, drained water and for a good measure used compressed air to blow out any excess water.

Each spring for the past 2 years I checked all the fluid levels, which were all in pristine condition, before starting the motors. The engines would start up just fine and run w/o any glitch. After shutting down the motors after a couple of minutes and checked the engine oil again it was slightly milky. Suspecting water contamination, I drained the engine oil out immediately each time. Drained oil was opaque, light brown(like coffee w/ cream) w/ occassional streaks of white.

It was suggested to me that the water contamination might be from condensation while the boat was stored outdoors for the winter. Indeed when I changed out the oil I have had no further problem w/ water contamination throughout each season.

Now I am about to put the boat away for the winter and would like to see whether there are any measures I can take to prevent this from happening...I do not have an indoor facility to store the boat.

Thanks for your time in advance.

Regards,

yhc"

Back