Logo

Volvo Penta AQ131275 heat exchanger missing

"I'm new on here with ques

"I'm new on here with questions about my first boat. I recently purchased an 86 bayliner with AQ131/275. I started looking at winterizing it and realized that it doesn't have the heat exchanger and water filter on the front of the engine. I need to look it over again and make sure, but it looks like it was converted to a completely open cooling system. The guy I bought it from only had it for one season and never realized it had been modified. Has anyone heard of doing this before and why? Also, does anyone know where to get a complete diagram of the cooling system instead of just individual parts of it?"

"I was afraid of that. If I&#3

"I was afraid of that. If I'm not mistaken, a new heat exchanger would probably run around $1200. Can you give me details of it's internal components. If I can build one cheaper then I just might do that."

"When you see how nicely this

"When you see how nicely this tucks into and onto the engine, you won't want to attempt to make one.... trust me!

Shoot Brad an email or call him...... he'll tell you the cost.
Here is his # 503-492-4608
Do your research first, so you are both talking about the same H/E.
It must be correct for your engine.... there are a few differences between them.

Rick"

You note that this is a AQ 131

You note that this is a AQ 131. There may be several of these H/E's that will work.
Eduardo would be a good one to tell us which ones will interchange with this engine.

"The AQ151 heat exchanger will

"The AQ151 heat exchanger will also work on the AQ131 (same component). The AQ171 heat exchanger is slightly different but may work on the AQ131 (not 100% sure, though)."

I really appreciate your help

I really appreciate your help guys. I found one for sale but the guy is not sure exactly what it came off of. It looks like the one I need but like you said the AQ171 heat exchanger is slightly different. The housing part numbers are the same so I would assume that everything will still bolt together just fine no matter which one it is. It's just that the internal components are slightly different. Does anybody have any reason why it would not work?

Thanks again in advance
Justin

You may run into engine circ p

You may run into engine circ pump issues if this is not the correct H/E!
El.... does that sound right?

"I don't think so, as the

"I don't think so, as the circulating pumps are identical on the AQ131 and the AQ171. I think that the cooling capacity of the AQ171 heat exchanger may be larger, but that's all. In any case, I haven't taken them apart to compare, so that's just my educated guess."

"<H3>Formatting Error</H3>The

"<H3>Formatting Error</H3>The formatting code aq131he.tif,image/tiff}\attachment_alreadyuploaded does not exist or cannot be used in this context."

"It appears as if there is mor

"It appears as if there is more heat exchanger area in the 171 over the 131, which is what I would expect. You will most likely find that it will take more antifreeze to fill than what the specs say the 131 needs. It will also take a tiny bit longer to heat up from dead cold. Neither the raw water pump nor the internal circulator pump should care about the bigger "innards"."

That's what I thought. Jus

That's what I thought. Just wanted to make sure. I just found one for $50. Now I just need the strainer part. Thanks for everything guys. You've been a big help.
Justin

"I hate to say this, but be pr

"I hate to say this, but be prepared to bite the bullet and buy a new strainer. Those things are brittle and if you buy an old one (especially without first seeing it) you are taking your chances.

Been there, done that."

"El, the circ pump issues that

"El, the circ pump issues that I was referring to, would be if he got a H/E for the wrong engine. While the circ pumps look similar, there is a differnce in them, correct?

Yes.... the black plastic strainer is both expensive new, and brittle when old. Buy new!"

"Correct.

On the bright si

"Correct.

On the bright side, the automotive pump fits the AQ131, and is cheap when compared with the other models."

Back