Logo

Merc 496 sea water pump

cruzman

Hi guys I have a 2008 496. too

Hi guys I have a 2008 496. took out the seawater pump to change the impeller.There is a small black rubber hose on top of the pump that did not seem to be connected to anything.What is tis hose for? Looks like a vacume line.Also is there a certian antifreeze for the closed cooling side.It looks low.Thanks !

"The factory coolant is the ex

"The factory coolant is the extended life version. add the same or the change interval is more than cut in half.

For the hose, there no small hose going to the pump based on the parts view. Suggest finding what the other end connects to and going thru the parts breakdowns to find where the open end mates. If the end is cut squarely and there is no evidence of a clamp being on the 'free' end, it is probably nothing to worry about."

Pressure test the system for a

Pressure test the system for a possible leak. Pressure test the cap; they weaken easily over a short time. Look for a small dribble stain at the weep hole under the circulating pump. If it's stained and there is crud in the weep hole replace the pump; it's about to quit on you 10 miles out.

"Guy:

Have you ever seen on

"Guy:

Have you ever seen one of these beasts??? You almost need a GPS to find the basic parts as they are frequently 'buried' under the hoses, wiring looms, and such."

I don't recall knowingly h

I don't recall knowingly having seen one. I have seen some new boats w/engines like you just described and wonder why in the hell Merc. built it that way. Because they can.

Its part of their continuing p

Its part of their continuing program of dealer revenue improvement...
"Sell a MERC and have a Customer for life!"

"Out friends in Stillwater are

"Out friends in Stillwater aren't the ones to send arrows at; they and most other marinizers get the base product from GM who engineered this particular beast. If you look at the coolant side parts breakdown, look where the t-stat lives. Again, GM did this as the other marine guys have the samme location. Overall, they do pretty well. Like most things, one good FU and that's all you hear about....probably be another decade before you stop hearing complaints about those 470 alternators."

Thanks for all the input guys.

Thanks for all the input guys. I found out that the hose goes nowhere and I did put in the extended coolant. I guess there are a few of those hoses to nowhere on that model engine.

Back