Logo

Gray 188 aft vs 225 forward engine mounts

slclaus

"I have a 1961 24.5ft Lyman wi

"I have a 1961 24.5ft Lyman with a Gray 188 Flywheel aft in it right now. The block is cracked and I'm looking at replacing it with a Gray 225 flywheel forward. Does anyone know if the engine mounts are the same and will this be a fairly easy lift and replace or will I have to do a lot of refitting (shaft, engine mounts, etc).

Also, does anyone have an opinion of the 1961 188 (flywheel aft) vs. the 1965 225 (flywheel forward). Is the 225 a better engine?

If the price was the same would you fix the 188 or just go with the 225 (which has just been rebuilt)."

Scott I just finished restorin

Scott I just finished restoring my v8-188 a couple monthes ago. Both engines are based on the same 327cid block. Good luck fitting the flywheel fwd 225 in your boat. You will have a great deal of refitting to do I dont recomend it at all. Either eng isnt better than the other only diff is the HP. Rebuild your 188 or find a flywheel aft 225. Keep your boat original as possible. You can find a block at Gray Marine inc. in St. Charles ILL. Pat

"scott
The rebuild took about

"scott
The rebuild took about year of my spare time. Mostly because I restored it back to a show quality motor. That also included everything bolted on to it, carbs, generator, distibutor and the like. The major internals were rebuilt by Gray Marine inc. in St.Charles ILL. That included the short block bored .040 over with new pistons and a whole lot more. Plus they redid the heads for me. I have rebuilt v-8's in the past but with two kids and limited time I opted to have the pro's at Gray Marine do it for me. If you never have torn down a v-8 and rebuilt one before and your not too mechanically inclined, I highly dont recomend it. There are a lot of tools needed to do it right. I hope this helps you decide. What I can say you will retain a higher value on your boat if you keep the original motor in it.
Pat"

Back