Logo

1991 200hp yamaha outboard boggs down

theshark299

When giving it full throttle i

When giving it full throttle it gets up to 2500rpms and then dies out.I have changed fueout all fuel lines and filters.I am currently breaking down the carbs to clean them out.Motor runs fine out of the water but once I have resistance in water it boggs down.Not sure if cleaning the carbs is the right answer but probably needs to be done. Any other advice to look at.Can cruise at 1200 to 1500 rpms ok but can't give it full gustto or it dies.

Cleaning the carbs never hurts

Cleaning the carbs never hurts. The culprit could be a bad fuel pump (particularly a bad diaphram). May have a small hole or a tear and when it's called on for "more fuel" it can't quite pump enough due to a pressure loss...

"I have a 1996 Yamaha 200. Th

"I have a 1996 Yamaha 200. The coils loose spark above 12 to 1500 RPMs. Feels like a sensor problem. Changed out the computer, but same thing. Unplugged the oil sensor, same thing. Does unplugging the oil sensor tell the computer that there is low oil? If so the sensor must be bad. Is that the case? There are no other sensors that go to the computer. It has a manuel timing advance on the throttle and the coil leads go into the computer. The only other thing that plugs into the computer is the oil sensor. I tried to move the little magnet while it was plugged in, but again same thing. Unplugged it and Yep! Same thing. It stays running, but bucks and rocks as different cylynders fire. There is no crank sensor, overheat, or revv limiter plugged into the computer. The gas is good, but even without gas it should still get a spark and not fire the way it is. Idles and runs as smooth as silk until 1200 RPMs. HELP!"

Back