Logo

WINTERIZING QUESTION

mike993

"Hi i read the posts about win

"Hi i read the posts about winterizing, i have 2 1987 raw water cooled 454's i put my inlet hose in a bucket of pink antifreze and ran each engine until the exhaust water turned pink fooged each engine afted with coil wire off. Just wondering if there is anything else to do just seemed a bit too easy? Thanks guys."

"I would change the engine oil

"I would change the engine oil, filer and transmission oil on both engines. Although it's better do do it after the engines and tranny are warm. Don't forget the plumbing if there is anything that has water in it. I usualy spray the linkages with WD40 or some kind of oil too. Last thing I do is disconnect the batteries but I leave them in the boxes (no room to store inside) some recommend storing them inside on wood."

"Winterizing includes the &#40

"Winterizing includes the (if you have it) onboard water system as well, especially the head! (Don't ask.) I drain and bypass my water heater to save Pink Stuff, then pump it through every line until I see pink fluid coming out every faucet AND the head. And, if you have one, don't forget the shower sump as well!

Jeff"

"I use a light grease on the c

"I use a light grease on the cables and steering rod and make sure they are all retracted. Clean and vasiline the battery terminals as well.

Jeff, you would get a charge out of what they use for the water systems where my wife works. They buy cheap vodka and put food coloring in it and run it through the water lines to the sinks and I assume the shower. I was teasing her about how it must be a great time when they open up the boats again!"

"Are they Russians? Worked wit

"Are they Russians? Worked with some Bulgarians once who were drunk half the time. Russians, they insisted, "Are the REAL drunks!"

Jeff"

"Years ago while running a car

"Years ago while running a car wash, several employees would use the bathroom frequently, I had opened up the toilet tank and there in the cool water was a 2/3 empty bottle of Vodka they would go in a take a shot every so often !

Brilliant !"

"Nope, its a high end boat yar

"Nope, its a high end boat yard and the boat owners do not like the pink antifreeze in the water system so this is how they winterize the water systems."

"Paul, I can see how it might

"Paul, I can see how it might be good for drinking water systems. I have NOT used water for drinking for 2 years after we ran the pink stuff thru. The taste is almost gone. I may actually try the vodka....cheap vodka"

"..."Nope, its a high end

"..."Nope, its a high end boat yard and the boat owners do not like the pink antifreeze in the water system so this is how they winterize the water systems."

Humm.... I wonder if the workers have an ulterior motive?

Being old time RVers, we NEVER drink water from the storage tank. Instead, we bring water from home in gallon jugs.

Jeff"

"I'm pretty much the same

"I'm pretty much the same as all, (use the pink stuff), except I do leave all the faucets OPEN after I have finished.

I had an "O" ring go on a gas cap once, (bit of rain/snow water in the gas) so now I use "draft stop" around the caps...it is "almost silicone" stuff that comes in a tube. The advantage is that in the Spring one can peel it off very easily and it leaves no residue. Guarantees no water seeping past any "O" rings. Also great around any windows one might suspect of leaking."

"I bought an engine that was w

"I bought an engine that was winterized for last winter and never started since then, so would it be a good idea to pour some fogging oil in the carburator and cylinders before this winter?

It is a 1986 model CH270"

"You bet. I pull the coil wir

"You bet. I pull the coil wire from the distributor, then crank it over while spraying fogging down the carb throat. Doing while running only burns it up.

Jeff"

Back