Logo

5000 Series Velvet Drive Spraying ATF

foxsurf

Just bought 25' Parker wit

Just bought 25' Parker with a 350 crusader with a 5000 series velvet drive tranny. 2nd day fishing engine alarm went off but oil pressure and engine temp were fine. Stuck my head in the engine room and noticed that ATF fluid had been sprayed or slung against the wall but had stopped. I dryed everything off best I could and never found a leak and the tranny never slipped or acted funny. when I got back to the dock it seems that it had been over filled. Could the spray be from the breather vent and would that set the alarm off? The fluid doesn't look to me like it got that hot so I'm just curious as to what the alarm would be for? ATF usually starts to turn black or starts to smell over 200 degrees from my experience?

"The ATf will come out the ven

"The ATf will come out the vent when the gear has too mcuh in it. It will also get aerated if overfull and that can cause cooling issues. The normal (non-ECU) warning circuit has oil pressure, engine coolant and gear fluid switches; if any close, the horn will sound.

Could have just been the aerated fluid. I'd be inclined to drain what is in there and start with fresh fluid, filled to the proper level and see if the issue repeats."

The oil level on those trannie

The oil level on those trannies is critical! Be sure not to under fill it by even a cup!

Jeff

"I recently replaced a rear se

"I recently replaced a rear seal in an older Borg Warner velvet drive. After filling the gear to the top with ATF and running it a few minutes to purge air from the cooler lines, I topped it off again. As expected, on the first long run after the service, approx. 1/4 qt. of ATF came out the overflow vent. It did not sling or spray anywhere; it just leaked out the vent and dripped down below the gear. I would investigate further if you have ATF slung around the bilge, as this could be evidence of a bigger problem."

It's still possible for th

It's still possible for the fluid to drip onto the rotating driveshaft and get slung about. Checking it regularly is the best way to avoid $$$$ trouble.

Jeff

Back