Logo

Problems RemovingAQ 130 Engine and 270 Drive

confused101

"Hi,

I am having problems r

"Hi,

I am having problems removing a 270 drive and AQ130 engine from an old boat. I can't get the steering pivot pins out of the drive. Is it OK to use heat and plenty of force to remove these. I don't want to damage anything.
Once I have removed the drive how does the engine come out. The book I have does not describe how to remove the engine (only the drive).

Ian"

"Not sure what you are calling

"Not sure what you are calling pivot pins.
The "Helmet Pin"?????

Are you removing just the engine from the flywheel cover? If so, no need to remove the drive...... but I'd advise doing so to check/replace drive bellows, U joint shaft bearing crosses and check your Primary Drive Shaft bearing.... better yet, replace it.

Heat is your friend on any of these parts. A small Propane or Mapp gas torch works well. Do not use Oxi-Acetylene unless you run a rich flame."

"Hi,

The mounting collar pi

"Hi,

The mounting collar pivot pins came free with a bit of persuasion from a MAPP gas torch and a decent hammer/drift. I have unbolted the engine from the flywheel cover but it won't slide forward. I assume it is stuck on the spline. I'll try a lever each side to pull it straight. I'll remove the drive, and replace the bearings. Drive bellows was full of grease but no water so hopefully all is OK."

Thks for your help. Looks lik

Thks for your help. Looks like I am going to be pulling the flywheel cover off from the wrong end so to speak. I'll let you know how I go.

Back