Logo

Oil leak from improper storage

skink127

"I've got a little 4hp 4 s

"I've got a little 4hp 4 stroke. It was accidentally laid down on it's wrong side and leaked oil. The book says don't lay it down like that or it could leak oil into the cylinder and cause engine damage. Am I correct in assuming that all I have to do is take the plug out and turn over the engine to blow the oil out of the cylinder, top off the oil in the sump and start it up again? Could anything else cause problems?
Thanks,
Peter"

Just pull the engine over and

Just pull the engine over and if it doesnt hydraulic it will be fine...if it wont turn over pull the plug and pull it over to get the oil out and check oil level

"don't pull it over with o

"don't pull it over with out removing the spark plug first if there is oil in cylinder you might just damage the rings. take the plug out and turn over the engine to blow the oil out of the cylinder, top off the oil in the sump and start it up again."

Peter pulling the engine over

Peter pulling the engine over by hand wont damage anything as we humans are not strong enough.

If it turns over there is no oil in the combustion chamber...generaly if the motor is laid down on the wrong side the worst is some oil weeping out

Back