Logo

Cleaning the engine internaly

I have a 350/260hp inboard wit

I have a 350/260hp inboard with a closed cooling system and wold like to clean out any poss blockages in the engine. Does anyone know of a product that can be used on the water side and coolant side?

depends upon what you think th

depends upon what you think the blockage is made of and how much effort you're willing to expend....things that come to mind range from baking soda to radiator flush to muriatic acid.

Best to perform periodic activities to keep from getting into this state.

"I'm thinking it's cor

"I'm thinking it's corrosion, when I replaced the risors and thermostat I noticed corrosion.How can you clean the water side ,just put the cleaner you recomend and let it sit or pump it in and block off the exhaust so it does'nt go out?"

"If you have the FWC system, i

"If you have the FWC system, it isn't too hard. Knowing what kind of corrosion would make selecting a flushing agent much easier.

It you want it pristine, pull the oil cooler(s) and the heat exchanger and get them hot tanked at a radiator shop. Some people get a bucket of muriatic acid, mix it 50/50 with water, put in in the raw water side and let it sit for 15-30 minutes. Disposal dictated by local laws. Also, the heat exchanger should have removable end caps that will let you brush out the tubes that the raw water flows thru."

"Ok sounds good, I had the hea

"Ok sounds good, I had the heat exchanger done over last winter.But I'll give that a try.Thanks for all the info.Kevin"

Back