Logo

2002 57GI Volvo Penta

boataholic

I have a 2002 5.7GI.BF motor i

I have a 2002 5.7GI.BF motor in my boat. I am trying to set the timming but the manual I have (seloc) not indicate the type of distrubtor that I have EST. The plug wires are horzonal to the cap. Can any one enlighten me on the proceedure. Oh yea it is a Volvo Penta Gas engine thank you.
Mike

does your distributor have a u

does your distributor have a unused plug on it that has a rubber cover over it? if so then you will need a timing tool from volvo that plugs into the unused plug and the wire that comes off of it goes to battery positive. this will put the engine into "base timing" then you can adjust from there.

Jarrod No is does not it only

Jarrod No is does not it only has one plug in and it is the power for the distributor. I was told by a mechanic that on this type of dist EST you can not adjust the timing but I would think you should be able to!! Thank you for ur responce
Mike

"a 2002 GI is computer control

"a 2002 GI is computer controlled for spark advance, it is basically a dummy shaft that transmits spark, that's it, no advance in there at all."

Thank you for the reply. So do

Thank you for the reply. So does this mean there is no timming that can be altered by adjusting the distributor location???

"I have the same engine.
You

"I have the same engine.
You need to set the "BASE TIMING" to 8* BTDC
Locate the "10 pin scanner port" DLC plug located on top of the engine next to the starboard side manifold.
If you don't have a "Shunt Tool or Code scanner" you need to remove the DLC connector protective cover and use a jumper...(paper clip).

Start the engine and throttle engine to 1,00 RPM's. Looking at the DLC plug, remove the 2 lower right side rubber plugs covering the pins......and jump them with the paper clip. You need to do this step to take the computer out of the loop and puts it into service mode so it doesn't compensate as you move the distributor.
You'll hear the engine speed change, at this time, use your timing light and check the timing. Move distributor and get it to 8* BTDC. Then remove paper clip and tighten distributor."

"Gary Thank you for the inform

"Gary Thank you for the information. If I may ask a favor from you, the next time you are working on the engine would you mind sending a picture indicating the location of the DLC plug ( or I can send you a picture of my engine and you can indicate the location). Just to make sure so I wont screw up. I can send you my email address it needed.
Mike.
Thank you again."

"Mike,
I'll get a pictur

"Mike,
I'll get a picture of it tonight when I go down to the boat. It's a fairly simple task to do.........."

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
296193.jpg

Your 10 pin DLC Plug should be located in this area......

296194.jpg

Separate plug at the bottom clip here.....

296195.jpg

With engine running at 1,000 RPM....jump these 2 terminals with a paper clip. Engine will drop in RPM. Then, follow instructions in pic for base timing.
Make sure paperclip doesn't ground out against manifold!!!!

Once you get your timing set at 8* BTDC, remove jumper...............shut down engine and tighten distributor...........thats it........thats how to set your BASE TIMING on a 5.7L EFI.

Of course, if there are trouble codes stored, you'll still need to plug in a scanner to retrieve them. There is a way to get the codes by jumping the terminals with an LED diode from Radio Shack and reading the flashes, but thats a whole other story..............your better off getting someone with a marine scanner and reading it.
Hope this helps a little..........

PS:******If your not comfortable doing this, call a mechanic. I take NO responsibility if you screw it up........lol....****"

WOW Gary that is a good explai

WOW Gary that is a good explaination I will work on that this weekend and let you know how it works out. I realy appreciate the time and effort you put into this.
Mike

GARY
I did what you said I in

GARY
I did what you said I instaled the jumper and the engine went up to 1000 rpm. I loosened the distrubtor and moved it left to right and the timming mark did not move it stayed inline with the marks on the dampner and timming cover indicators. So I guess this engine timming is controlled by the engines computer???. Well I guess ill just leave it alone. Thanks again for all your help.
Mike

"Mike
Sorry that didn't w

"Mike
Sorry that didn't work for you. The timing (advance) is controlled by the ECM, but you should still be able to set the base timing. You should check and see if there are any DTC codes. Get yourself a scan tool (marine version) and see what codes are stored, if any."

Back