Logo

Water entering bilge area

pjsomers2

Contributing Member
"I have a small amount of wate

"I have a small amount of water entering my bilge area about a quart to 3/4 of a gallon after a full day on the lake. I just this summer replaced the engine and before putting my outdrive on replaced both rubber bellows, then just about a month ago I resealed the drain plug. Question what are the most common way's for water to enter and could it be from around the housing itself? Thanks Joe"

"If the water comes through th

"If the water comes through the housing, then the drive bellows is blown. However, I would check the area where the transom shield is attached to the transom. Make sure all the bolts are tight and there is no rot in the transom.

It would also help if you told us what outdrive you have in your boat (and year of manufacturing)."

"Hey thanks, outdrive is a DP-

"Hey thanks, outdrive is a DP-SM 2003. I had some work done in July to fix what was a little hard steering, the work order say's,(Check for hard steering-Found tiller arm is rubbing against the transom and inner transom plate, loosened and ground down transom as needed, lubed bearings turns free now.)I wonder if it wasn't torqued well or if there is a gasket I should replace. Work was done over 200 miles from here or I would just take it back and see what they say."

"You may want to check that th

"You may want to check that the transom shield nuts are tight, then completely dry the bilges and transom area, then put the boat on the water and see if any water is coming in from that area."

"Thanks El, I will give it a t

"Thanks El, I will give it a try this weekend. I sure wish your shop was in Southern California."

Back