Logo

Warning Light and Buzzer on 1999 BF130 SN 1300348

crrumsey

"The overheat warning light an

"The overheat warning light and buzzer comes on within 15-30 seconds after starting. The intake at the foot is unobstructed and the engine is "peeing" ok, not real strong but same as other engine. I reset everything and it happens again. I had to reset it the day before a couple of times and then it ran great. Any ideas?"

"Since the motor was probably

"Since the motor was probably not actually overheating within 30 seconds...the most likely problem is a faulty overheat sensor or faulty wiring or loose connectors from the sensor to the ECU.

There is a test procedure on p 139 of the Honda Service Manual. You need to use a service connector plug and the manual to step you through it.

There is a chart to check the resistance of the sensor relative to the temperature. Examples of resistances... 69 deg F = approx 3000 ohms, 104 deg F = approx 1000 ohms, 212 deg F = approx 300 ohms.

The sensor is located just above the thermostat on the port upper side of the head."

"Thank you for your response a

"Thank you for your response and I appreciate your information, however, I led you astray. I double checked my problem and it is the PGM-FI light that is coming on and not the overheat light. Sorry."

"Were any other lights on? Th

"Were any other lights on? The oil light?

Was the alarm steady or on and off?

Also, what did you do to "reset everything"?"

"No other lights, alarm was st

"No other lights, alarm was steady.
turned the engine off, waited a couple of minutes then turned the key to on waited a few seconds and started the engine and it would start and idle fine."

"If there is no green oil ligh

"If there is no green oil light, that indicates something is going on with the oil pressure. Does it come on when you turn the key to on to start the engine? Does the green light come on when the motor is running and there is not an alarm? I do not remember the PGM light coming on when the oil pressure is down...so this may be more complicated.

Assuming the oil light is working...

Check the oil level.
Is the oil the proper type?
Has it been changed recently?
Has the filter been changed?

Next would be to check the oil pressure sensor. Check the connection...if ok pull the sensor and clean it and make sure the opening is clear of debris. It is located on the starboard side of the engine just above the top intake manifold pipe. There should be a single yellow/red lead going to it."

"The green oil light comes on

"The green oil light comes on when the key is turned on and goes off after the engine starts. I started the engine today and the Program Fuel Injector light comes on and the warning buzzer was going off at a few seconds interval's. The engine runs smooth, but requires me to pump the throttle a couple of times to get it started."

"Just to be clear...is the gre

"Just to be clear...is the green light on or in it off when the motor is running?

The beeping on and off and the pgm light indicates one or more of the sensors are probably out of range, are faulty, or disconnected.

How handy are you? Do you have a repair manual?

I ask, because if you do not see anything unplugged or broken, the next step would be to put the engine into service mode.

Check the idle air control sensor connection and the map sensor connections which are located just below the oil fill tube (the iac is below on the side and the map is below to the front of the engine. The iac is easily hit with the cover if not careful, so check these carefully.

Also check the throttle position sensor connection. It is located on the upper part of the front of the engine on the front of the throttle body.

Pull the connectors off and then put them back on to be sure they are making good connection.

You should not have to pump the throttle to start the engine. The idle air control valve does the work to provide the proper fuel and air mixture for startup.

Let me know what you find and about the green oil light."

Back