Logo

Horsepower for a 145A

montanaman

"I just recently bought a 1982

"I just recently bought a 1982 Glasply 18-foot with a Volvo 145A in it. It has dual-carbs, and I was wondering how many horsepower it has? Thank you."

"Your engine is rated for a ma

"Your engine is rated for a maximum flywheel output of 138 HP at 5500 RPM. However, the recommended WOT speed is 4500-5100 RPM."

"What would the HP be with one

"What would the HP be with one carb. same?

Mine is giving me some trouble. Moter runs good after warmed up, throttle up and the boat doesn't go very good at all. Will not get on a plain, and starts to die out and lose RPM's till it stalls out.

I can figure vapor lock for the dieing out part, but why it won't jump up and plain out anymore is my question. I just had the prop looked at too and it is not spun. Seems to me the torque insn't making it to the prop..... ahhhh.

What can go wrong to cause this symptom between the motor and the prop. What can go wrong in there. Because the motor rev's up and runs good - minus the vapor lock.....

Thanks to any help that comes my way."

"Wydel, my guess is that if yo

"Wydel, my guess is that if you go to a single Solex carb, the HP will go down. However, and based on the reports I have read on this forum from other members, upgrading to a Weber single carb seems to bring more HP.

In your case, I suspect you may have one of the following:

1) a problem with one of the accelerator pumps,

2) Carbs not synchronized.

3) Distributor with broken springs or seized weights.

4) Faulty ignition components (wires, distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs, ignition coil).

5) a stuck anti-syphon valve in the fuel tank.

You may want to check the above before going into expensive mods that may or may not cure your problem but definitely will be a financial drain."

"Hello again, This forum is ve

"Hello again, This forum is very helpful.

Should my intake manifold, under my carb. have gas pooling in it?

Also, if I put my motor in TDC #1 and then pop the distibutor cap to find the rotor button 180 out. Can I simply switch all four plug wires at that point and be back in buisness or is there something there I am missing.

This motor!! Man I can't get it right. It will only run if I spray starter fluid into the carb. So I broke the carb down and cleaned everything I could get to. I did not break it in half but I did take the top plate the flame arrestor sits on off and spray all the ports from that point. Both of the stems on top are clear.

That gas pooling in the intake does not seem right to me.

When I pull a spark plug I a hearing fire. I don't have anyone to hit the key for me while I am turning the key but I can hear it clicking.

What else..... good battery turning motor, fuel pump is pumping great, new coil-condenser-cap (which are not cheap)... let me know what you think.

Mr. El, Thanks for all the feed back. You wouldn't happen to be in FL anytime soon.... ha ha, could you stop by.... just kidding. Thanks."

Back