Logo

Winterizing FWC engine

scott_duerring

Regular Contributor
"I am tired of paying $150 plu

"I am tired of paying $150 plus per engine to get them winterized so I am researching do it yourself suggestions. I have read that it could be as simple as poring antifreeze in the strainer until it comes out the exhaust and spraying fogging oil in the engine. It this all there is to it? There seems to be a debate if the thermostats have to be open or not? I am aware of the need to change oil, and store the batteries, I am just concerned about making sure the engine does not freeze. Can it be that simple?"

"Scott, When I do my engine, I

"Scott, When I do my engine, I let it run for around 1 hour on the hose to flush it out real well so it is up to temp when I do the rest of what I described to you."

"I don't remember if you a

"I don't remember if you are fresh water or raw water cooled if the later, yes you do need to have the t-stats open"

"I am fresh water cooled and b

"I am fresh water cooled and boat in Lake Michigan so I dont have the salt issue. Dont the t stats affect the closed side of the system only? In other words the raw water side, which is the side that needs the winterization runs all the time regardless of how hot the engine is so if I dump anti freeze in the sea strainer until it runs out the exhaust I am good, right?"

"Yes, if your engines are FWC

"Yes, if your engines are FWC then you are correct. The coolant filled components are fine and protected."

"I'd add checking the alka

"I'd add checking the alkalinity of the Coolant side...if it goes acidic, you'll want ot change it before letting it sit all winter, even with a 'good' freezing point."

Back