Logo

Surging at higher speeds

pokie

"I have a 40hp tohatsu (40

"I have a 40hp tohatsu (40c).It started surging at higher speeds.I replaced fuel filter in tank and on motor,fuel line and connectors,fuel pump,cleaned carburetor,new ignition coil.Did not help.Checked compression top cylinder 126# bottom cylinder 131#.Checked exciter,pulser coil and CDI box.Exciter OHMS 261.9,cranking speed 226 dva,Ideling speed 222 dva,W.O.T. 153dva.Pulser,OHMS 40.2,cranking speed 9 dva,Ideling speed 13 dva,W.O.T. 53 dva.CDI cranking speed 160 dva,Ideling speed 130 dva,W.O.T. 87 dva Any Suggestion Thank You Pokie"

Check your test values against

Check your test values against what is found in your service manual. If they are within spec then you need to look at the fuel system.

"I have a clymer outboard shop

"I have a clymer outboard shop manual it only tells you OHMS and cranking speed volts(dva).Then it reads the engine may operate properly at one speed and misfire at another speed due to a faulty exciter coil.That is why I performed test on OHMS; cranking,ideling andW.O.T. volts(dva).When I seen the voltage drop on the exciter I though that might be the problam.I went to the local dealer the repair manual he had only told us OHMS and cranking volts.He said I might have something wrong with the reed vales.I was hopeing you could tell me if the test values were right or where I can find out if they are right.My tohatsu is a 1998 I forgot to tell you in the first E-mail.Thank you Mike"

Back