Logo

454 engine noise update

mike993

I found the noise #2 exhaust c

I found the noise #2 exhaust cam lobe worn #6 intake pushrod bent. My question is why the bent pushrod valve free timing marks all good chain good no slack any ideas? Also what part number camshaft can i use and where is a good place to get the parts? Thanks.

"Mike, in your earlier post y

"Mike, in your earlier post you mention that you are new to shafts so you probably just acquired this boat. In my boat and so many of the 80+ year old motorcycles I have restored, you have NO IDEA what it has been thru with each owner before it finds it self in your hands.

My broken and bent pushrods came from intruding water rusting a few valves. Within seconds,I knew we had a problem. Once the valve cover came off, my fears were confirmed. Do you think this had been developing, wore the cam and eventually bent the rod"

"Chain driven, so this is then

"Chain driven, so this is then a RH drive engine, as viewed from the crank balancer. You want about a .27" lobe lift, with about a 210 deg duration @ .050. Lots of cam maufacturers, i've used Wolverine, Comp Cams.
So, #6 valve is not stuck, but rod bent? Not sure why, any sign of water ingestion there? Look at the plugs. I have converted my 454's to 3/8" push rods, you do need to change the rod guides too. You will need all new hydr lifters, start up lube, 1900 rpm for the first 30 minutes."

"Thanks for the quick reply gu

"Thanks for the quick reply guys i have looked at the manifold and risers as well as intake ports and i see no signs of water ingestion, i checked oil level down a bit so no sign of water there either. I did just purchase this boat 2 months ago. When taking the engine apart found lots of silicone so it has been apart before perhaps bad valve adjustement at some point?"

"GM's "high-lift hydra

"GM's "high-lift hydraulic" cam, P/N 3904359.
You should be finding RTV around the intake water passages and at each end. Some at the front and back of the oil pan. I don't use it much elsewhere, and if you see it loose in the oil galleries, that's bad..
You should be able to do this complete job with engine in, if there is some space for the cam to slide out."

"Thanks for the part # dave al

"Thanks for the part # dave all i could find is nla, i took it all apart today with no problems lots of room took 1.5 hrs, i hope i can get all my parts tommorow and get her running so i can winterize. Just thinking if i should get new rocker nuts to be sure? You guys are a great help!"

"DD - if it has a chain, it&#3

"DD - if it has a chain, it's a LH, not RH engine.

the OEM cam (mid-late 80's) is non-symmetrical .461"I and .479"E (@ valves) with durations 214/218 @ 0.050" lift."

This confusion cost me a start

This confusion cost me a starter. I am going to say the rule is for LH or RH:

Viewed from the flywheel???????

"Yeah, I was misleading. The

"Yeah, I was misleading. The engine is CW as viewed from the crank, but should be called a LH engine."

"I always look at the prop fro

"I always look at the prop from astern. If IT rotates CW, then it's a normal rotation motor. Of course, the trans could reverse that (but then the motor will always be a normal rotation motor).

Jeff"

"Nice work, Mike. I replaced

"Nice work, Mike. I replaced a cam last year and I did have one problem. After adjusting all the lifters according to the service manual and completing the break in procedure for the cam, one rocker nut loosened up and I had to pull the intake again. A rod had come loose clean out from under rocker arm. Fortunately, it did not bend and no other damage was evident. Needless to say a new set of rocker nuts was ordered. The NAPA guy, who used to run his own shop and is quite knowledge, confimred that the nuts can and will lose their locking abilty.

Jeff, Borg Warner 1.91:1 gears reverse the rotation of both engines by design. Engine rotation must be determined by looking at the flywheel; CCW flywheel rotation indicates standard LH engine and CW indicates oddball RH rotation (not too common except for remanufactured engines these days)."

"Right. All outdrive motors,

"Right. All outdrive motors, and virtually all inboard motors, now turn the same direction, with the prop rotation achieved in the trans or lower unit.

Jeff"

"Agreed. I once made the mist

"Agreed. I once made the mistake of looking at my prop rotation and nearly ordered the wrong camshaft. On my boat, the starboard engine is the standard rotation engine and the in-line gear reverses it."

Back