Logo

BF225 how low can i go

jafo9

"I talked to my local Honda me

"I talked to my local Honda mechanic today and he had me measure the distance from the water line to the idle port. hard to tell exactly but it seemed to be 3 1/4 inches in a plum line from the very bottom edge of the idle port to the water line. He mentioned that he thought it should be 4". Looking at the mounting points, its at its lowest point (i.e., it couldn't be any lower in the water). Its on a 25ft Premier with the PTX tube in the middle. I'm assuming hes gonna tell me to raise it. We are in the beginnings of trying to diagnose the buzz when idle problem that seems to be related to the O2 sensor (thanks to all who replied to my prior post). He told me it would cost about $200-250 to raise the motor. This sounded kinds high since it looks like you take 2 bolts out and loosen 2 more and lift it up a bit. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Brian."

"The 2010 rigging manual (

"The 2010 rigging manual (p10-12) states it should be at least 5.9 inches.

I would hope if he is going to move the engine,that he would take it to the water to check its clearance.

If you don't tilt the motor all the way down (ie: keep it straight up and down) the exhaust port will be further from the water when you are idling. When it is tucked all the way in, the port is facing more down to the water as well as being closer.
Unfortunately, you will probably not remember to do it all the time and there is no easy way to limit its travel."

"yeah, i was kinda surprised h

"yeah, i was kinda surprised he asked me to do it. he said he would have to charge me if he did it, $250. needless to say, i loaded up the family truckster and headed to the nearest lake.

holy cow, 5.9 inches trimmed all the way in. i'm way too low. my guess is they were trying to get it below the middle tube. the fellow i bought it from stated he like to keep it trimmed about 1/4 the way up on the gauge. even there it cavitated just a bit in turns. i'm beginning to feel in over my head, or should i say "in too deep".
"

"Mike is correct - 5.9 inches

"Mike is correct - 5.9 inches from the exhaust port to the water line, with engine tucked all the way down. That is covered explicitly in Honda Service Bulletin # 56, on page 7. Less distance risks ingesting water into the exhaust tubes and blowing the HO2 sensor, plus a lot of other bad things.

The motor weighs well over 600 lbs, so if you move it yourself, it will take the right equipment. To do it properly, you need to lift the motor from the top. I've heard that some folks have jacked up their trailer, block and pad the lower unit, removed and loosen the appropriate bolts, and then slowly let the trailer down until they achieve the appropriate height. Not sure I would recommend doing that - too high a risk of bending or breaking something."

"certainly not something i wou

"certainly not something i would try with out a lift. $200-250 seemed a bit high just to raise it, or is that pretty standard?"

Yep! The 115 rigging guide a

Yep! The 115 rigging guide also says 5.9 inches. The 130 although not made any more is basically the same motor as the 115

Back